PDA

View Full Version : length of RV and trailer

DelJac
06-10-2010, 12:29 PM
found that over all length of motorhome and trailer or vehicle cannot excede 65ft. would there be any options? have 41ft MH would like to be 72ft overall. anyone know how, i see pictures of coaches that maybe even longer. any suggestions?

CraigS
06-10-2010, 07:54 PM
I guess you will have to move :D

Towing laws unique to each state and province.

Here's a good summary http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Some jurisdictions allow reciprocity. In this instance, you can follow your province's rule. In all other cases, the local law prevails.

03heritagerider
06-11-2010, 11:19 AM
We have a 41 foot unit with a 24 foot trailer. If you add the length of the gap between the MH and trailer for the hitch/tongue, we're probably around 68 feet long. This exceeds most State's limits including our home State.

We have been in all but 6 states with this set-up and never been stopped or asked about it. In fact, in Georgia, one of three states without reciprocity and a 60 foot limit, we had a flat and were parked on the shoulder when a trooper stopped to see if we needed help. Again, no questions.

I think enforcement is not at issue for a rig going down the road. I think the problem would be if you were stopped for another violation or involved in an accident.

I am curious, but afraid to ask, if insurance would cover an accident if you are over length.