PDA

View Full Version : Furnace question from a newbee

Karalyn
06-23-2010, 07:46 PM
I just bought my new to me Gulfstream Amerilite 21 MB and found bees nests in the 2 holes that say "SUBURBAN". I am now assuming this to be the furnace.
Well, I sprayed bee killer in those holes and then in order to get the bee's nests out I squirted the holes with a water hose to loosen those bees nests.
Ok, here is my question! The water leaked into the camper which I never dreamt would happen. IS IT SAFE FOR ME TO USE THAT FURNACE?? Anyone else ever have bee's nests in there? I am now wondering if I could have ruined that furnace. I am assuming the water went into the furnace maybe?!
Any opinions out there?

Thanks

mfa
06-23-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm not a furnace expert, but I would think that it would drain and dry out just fine. I'd give it a week and then try it, if you are sure the nests are out. If there are nests still in there, then you need to do a partial disassembly and clean them out.

Were they bees or were they mud daubers? Mud daubers nesting in holes like that are probably more common. Camping World and most RV camp stores sell screens that are made especially to cover those holes to keep mud daubers out. I've had one on my furnace vents for the past 3+ years.

EarlJunior
06-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Take the camper in for service just to be safe; after all you are playing w/propane here. Once done, add one of the inexpensive bee guard meshes to the furnace outlet so the issue does not recur.