PDA

View Full Version : Need both a equalizer hitch and a sway bar????

Karalyn
07-10-2010, 10:22 PM
It seemed like my AmeriLite 21 was swaying some last trip out. I had to drive slower than on the 1st trp out.
Wondering how many of you use BOTH the equalizer hitch and a sway bar?
I was told my Equalizer hitch chaines were too loose - I need to tighten those next trip. :-)
Do I need that sway bar also on my 21 ft AmeriLite?

TUPFAM
07-11-2010, 11:47 AM
A simple friction sway bar is cheap insurance and should be used at a minimum. There are hitches out there that integrate weight distribution and sway control; Equalizer, Reese Dual Cam, Reese Pro Series SC to name a few. IMHO, you should find out WHY your trailer is swaying first (improper loading, incorrect hitch set-up, etc.) before just covering it up with a sway bar.

crazyv
07-13-2010, 10:14 PM
I am towing with basically the same vehicle (Trailblazer) and we had some pretty significant winds when bringing it home (from purchasing it mind you) the other day. I noticed just a hint of sway but that was because the dealer mentioned we might need to tighten up our sway a smidge. It was loaded by them, dry without cargo and we were hauling it for the first time...so I wasn't too surprised with the weather conditions.

Karalyn
07-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Just got home last night from a 5 hour trip both ways, and drove about 60 MPH. Camper did not sway much this time. I had her loaded this time also, but left water for holding tank at home. Thinking of having the trailer welding place that installs the hitches take a look at my set up. I want to do everything possible to have a safe ride.