PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Stream Motorized Going Away? Rumors?

David Bott
07-26-2010, 09:58 AM
RUMORS?

I heard that Brian Shea stepped down as the CEO. (He lead the motorized division)

I heard that Dave Middelton, national sales rep for the motorized division, left.

And I head that the CFO or COO, forget which, also left.

I heard that they are only producing towables now.

Anyone else heard such things?

Jim
07-27-2010, 04:36 PM
keep up to date on gulfstream

David Bott
07-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Not sure what you mean Jim.

Jim
07-28-2010, 08:57 PM
If you here something put it on the post, You are a member of Gulfstreamers contact Bonny Cooper she will give you the full story

David Bott
07-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Still not sure what you mean Jim. I did put it in a post and am am asking if anyone else knows this to be true.

RayChez1
07-30-2010, 11:18 AM
I just talked to Scott Pollum from Gulf Stream motorized division and he said that the rumor is not true. The motorized division is still going strong and he also mentioned that the towables are doing better then ever. So I hope this answers some of your questions about the motorized division closing down. NOT TRUE!

David Bott
07-30-2010, 12:19 PM
I am guessing the rest is true then about the key people leaving the motorized division. That to me does not sound good of GS. Yes, I knew the towables were being made, but also heard that is really all they are currently making.

To me, this doe snot sound to good on the class A area of GS.

RayChez1
07-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Well, it might not be a bad idea to bring new blood into the company. Several companies have shed some top weight and are streamlining to a more effiecient and profitable with better quality coaches being manufactured. Gulf Streams quality control has been criticized a lot lately, so maybe they will bring in somebody from a different company that might do better. :wink:

mfa
08-01-2010, 09:02 PM
... Gulf Streams quality control has been criticized a lot lately, so maybe they will bring in somebody from a different company that might do better. :wink:

Hope springs eternal. :wink:

rescue7
08-02-2010, 09:08 AM
From rv.net

Former Vice-President of the motorized division of Gulf Stream Coach, Inc., Mr Claude Donati will sometime in the near future begin building class A motorhomes either in Northern Indiana or Southern Michigan. The new company will be called: Nexus RV. I wish him good luck and hopes he build a good quality unit. Perhaps he'll bring some excitement to the motorized RV business. He resigned from Gulf Stream in Mid-June of 2010. It will be interesting to see how this all works out! What say you?

Don

David Bott
08-02-2010, 09:25 AM
I knew Claude had left, I wonder if Dave and others went with him for this new venture. I can only hope quality control is a top priority and also embracing the owners via support and even online.

RayChez1
08-02-2010, 11:26 AM
I never had any problems as far as quality and workmanship on my coach. It has been a great coach with minimal problems.
Where Gulf Stream is really bad is customer service to answer their phone. That has been the biggest complaint from a lot of Gulf Stream owners.
I was one of the lucky ones, because just about every time I called they stepped right up and helped me. I remember when I bought the coach new and I was in Florida and I had a seal on the big slide that was not glued just right. I called them up and they found a place in Florida that was close to where I was and had it repaired at no cost to me.
But I have read in this forum and on RV.Net where they absolutely hate Gulf Stream that Gulf Stream has a bad reputation and to stay away from their product. I disagree with RV.Net on a lot of their issues because that forum is controlled by the Newmar owners and they believe that Newmar is the only company that manufactures quality coaches. And they are right that they do manufacture a good coach, but there are others that make good coaches also. Usually when you buy a top of a line of any company, you are getting a pretty good coach. Gulf Stream with their TM now manufactures a pretty good coach for the money.

GStream40
08-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Read about Donati new RV here: http://www.rvbusiness.com/2010/07/donati-nexus-rv-to-pick-plant-site-in-60-days/

I wish him all the best, he is a great guy.

Ron

David Bott
08-02-2010, 08:14 PM
The Tour Master was indeed Gulf Steams main high end coach. But it had its manufacturing issues that I still am dealing with. I am not alone in this I am sorry to say. The QC was totally lacking as far as I am concerned right down to them forgetting to put a slide seal on! How can that even pass QC??? Because of this out bedroom floor dry rotted out. Now GS still stood behind it, but it also put us out yet again.

In any case, I will be looking to Newmar I think when the time comes to look for another coach. I like the approach they have to running the line.

But you could not beat GS for the Bang for the Buck factor or the storage space of the Tour Master.

RJ82much
08-20-2010, 01:50 PM
I just visited the Gulf Stream factory a week ago (It's still there!). Unfortunately, I didn't take the factory tour because it is given only every-other-day. I requested a face-to-face with Scott Pullin and he came to reception where we talked for at least a half hour. According to Scott, you will not be able to purchase new diesel units because the market is too saturated. Other motorized products are available & he confirmed towable is doing very well.

I also met with Jim Creech who has been there a billion years & seems to be ready for the next billion. They confirmed that Aaron is no longer with the company - difficult cuts had to be made in the business climate.

I was there for several issues that I only trust the factory to handle. For the 1st time, assistance was declined, but in a very courteous manner. I was however, referred to a small local shop named RV One. Scott called ahead to pave the way. Dave at RV One is very knowledgeable, & in fact GAVE me the replacements for broken parts of my FM antenna. It was the estimated charges for slide work that was declined by GS. If the internal factory "slide expert" employee wasn't on vacation, I had the feeling that perhaps the problems would have been taken care of within the factory.

Scott also got me immediately into the local Chevrolet repair center for an inspection on a strange motor behavior. The service manger himself was waiting for me as I arrived.

Further conditions that I noted was that the "camping area" was completely empty, though electric & water were on. The pool was closed ("expensive repairs" are being deferred). The visitor lounge building was locked. When I got it opened, I discovered it is being used as office space, but by who is unclear since it was vacant. The country club showers are accesible but have not been maintained for some time (clean, but could use some repairs & replacement). There were not many vehicles in the corporate office parking lot, but the mail-guy still makes deliveries!

It's my belief that they are surviving. Until you read that Scott Pullin has taken a position elsewhere, I think there isn't real cause for alarm, unless you positively, absolutely have to have a brand new Gulf Stream diesel - then it is "Ruhh-rohh"

RayChez1
08-22-2010, 11:07 PM
You say that motorized coaches were not being manufactured at the moment, but you also mention that Scott Pullin said there was other motorized coaches you could purchase. Are you saying that TM are not being made at the moment, but that other motorized coaches are?
When I talked to him on the phone he told me that motorized coaches are still being manufactured. So I don't know what is going on here. He tells me one thing and then he tells you something else.

RJ82much
08-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Ray,

It is my understanding (from Scott) that you would not be able to purchase a newly manufactured TM or any diesel-powered product - the factory is not now producing them. He indicated there is too much inventory (& competition) around the country. So you may be able to purchase leftover diesel units from dealerships.

I also understood (from Scott) that you could place an order on say, a brand new class A gas Sun Voyager for example. Motorized is strong enough, just not on diesel platforms.

Perhaps that is why Donati moved to Nexus RV? It might be interesting to see who is financially backing this new venture? Part of a "master plan"? hmmmm....

David Bott
08-23-2010, 02:54 AM
That was more or less my take also. But it went as far as no class A's and was only smaller units. Class C.

Yes, it will be interesting with the new company. Will be looking to see what comes of that.

Kate P
08-25-2010, 08:56 AM
I know I am late getting into this discussion but I support the fact that Gulf Stream needs to improve quality control. We did not even have a connection to City Water and we have had a slew of other problems due to a lack of quality control problems. How can you have a 6 sigma quality program and miss a major requirement for an RVer? I also have experienced the difficulty in getting customer service support out of Gulf Stream with one exception. Millie Birchfield, the Queen of the parts department, has been my "go to girl" at Gulf Stream. She has come through for me 100% of the time. She promptly responds to all emails and I have even spoken to her on the phone! I just could not miss the opportunity to put in a good word for a dedicated Gulf Stream employee who is truly committed to providing excellent customer service!

David Bott
08-25-2010, 09:19 AM
I second Millie and also Cindy and Pauline. All have helped "make things happen". Even Dave Millition was great but alas is no longer their.

WE LOVE OUR TOUR MASTER T40B. WE HATED all the QC issues we had to deal with in order to love out TM. The coach we have should have never been let out by any type of QC program. So it clearly shows their really was not not. (In our humble opinion.)

univmd
09-15-2010, 04:17 PM
I talked to Millie yesterday to get a replacement fog light for my 2008 Tourmaster. Alas she said that Gulfstream is not making any Class A's anymore and that they are only making Class C's. She literally told me that there is no demand for Gulfstream Class A's anymore by saying it's all about supply and demand from the dealerships.

So she didn't have any fog lights for me. But I did find them from the manufacturer for $75. Bought the RV brand new just last year.

I agree with David and Kate. There are many QC issues with our coach too. Next time we will also not buy Gulfstream.

RayChez1
09-15-2010, 05:02 PM
It is too bad to read that Gulf Stream is not manufacturing class A coaches. I alway thought TourMaster, Scenic Cruiser and Friendship coaches were a lot of coach for the buck.
I really believe this is temperary while the economy is down and has hurt a lot of companies. Good coach companies like Country Coach, Newmar, Travel Supreme have either gone belly up or like in Newmars case, they will only manufacture if you special order one.
The only companies that are still mass producing is Winnebago, Fleetwood and Tiffen.
But there is a lot of difference paying 300K for a TourMaster vs a Eagle for 600K.
I can't complain about my coach, it has been a good one, but I sure have read a lot of other owners that have had bad luck with their coaches. And that is really tragic because some of these folks have spent lots of money for their home on wheels. :( :(

David Bott
09-16-2010, 07:05 AM
IMHO, with GS, it all came down to Customer Service and MOSTLY QUALITY CONTROL! While most of the employees wanted to offer help and did when they could, it seems that the company was not so helpful. Their are a lot of great people at GS that has helped us, Dave, Cindy, Pauline, & Millie to name most.

But what I feel hurt GS the most, was the pure lack of care when it comes to the build process. No standards it seems. No QC it seems. A total lack of respect for the money being spent for their product.

Such a shame, for we now love our TM, seeing we did all the fixup that should not have been in the first place, but will look to Newmar we think for the next coach if and when that day comes. Also looking forward to seeing what the new Nexus comes up with, for the good people from GS that left are building that company. And being customer centric will be the goal.

Jim
09-21-2010, 10:29 PM
I was at the Hurshey show last week and Gulfstream only had 2 motor homes there a class c and a class B. There were a few towables there but not much of a show for them. They say if you want a Motor home they will make one if you want to order it.

RayChez1
09-21-2010, 11:27 PM
I believe this is just a temperary thing while the economy is struggling. Since this company is a family owned company, they afford to be flexable. They are not the only one doing that, Newmar also in Nappanee, Indiana will only build the coaches to dealers that have the hard cash and ready on a sale. Country Coach was another company that would build you a coach on special order. I really believe that once the economy picks up which it seems like it is finally getting turned around from 750 thousand jobs being lost every month, we now are losing this month like 50 thousand. So I hope that this economy gets turned around and all these RV companies start manufacturing coaches again so that we have a big selection. Gulf Stream is doing exceptionally good on TT and Fivers according to Creech. So it is not like they are about to go belly up like some of these other companies that are not diversified.

David Bott
09-22-2010, 07:50 AM
I do not think they will go Belly Up. I think they will still not be able to manufacture a solid coach if and when they may start up class A's again. Most of the people that really cared about the product are no longer their. But even when they were their, their hands seemed to be tied.

No, do not think they are going anywhere...but I at this time, though we love our TM, I do no think a new GS would be in out future. And I say love only after we fixed almost 2 years of issues.

univmd
09-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Newmar is definitely not Gulfstream. There are many 2011 Newmar King Aires and Essexes (all over $600,000) for sale at dealerships. Newmar is still mass producing class A coaches and sending them out to dealers who have ordered them without finding a buyer first. Just google search 2011 Newmar Essex. Country Coach tried the smaller "we'll build it if you order it" business, but it was too late by then, and they were dissolved within a year before any orders came in. People like to see RVs at shows, and check out the latest RVs on websites. Gulfstream's website seems so out of date compared to other websites. The product catalog under Tourmaster is not updated, I am not sure why a current Tourmaster owner would want to buy another newer Tourmaster in the future if nothing has changed online.

RayChez1
09-22-2010, 11:05 AM
It is ashame that Gulf Stream owners (Shea family) have allowed their company to have such poor quality control and customer service. I always liked their top of the line coaches, but their were several issues that had to be taken care off by the new owners before it was ready for use. That should never happen with good quality control in a company. That is how reputations are built on whether your company will survive or not. I don't think the coaches of some of these other companies such as Tiffen or Newmar are built that much difference, but the thing about those to companies is that they stand behind there product and make sure that when that coach leaves the factory the customer is completely satisfied. While Gulf Stream has some kind of arrangement where they would push the coach through the assembly line and let the retailer finish the last minute touch ups, where your quality comes into the picture. The dealers have not done a good job of it and so Gulf Stream has built a bad reputation from some of unsatisfied customers. And that is really too bad because I have seen some TourMasters that are simply beautiful coaches. I even considered buying a Constellation, trading up from my Scenic Cruiser, but they stopped making the Constellation as to what I have read. I never did see one, just read about them and saw some pictures. It seemed that it would have been a hit and given other companies some competition.
I have forty thousand miles on my coach and is running perfect with no big issues, so we will enjoy it as long as that Cat engine runs. I am 67 years of age already, so I don't know how much longer this adventure will last. That is why I keep my two houses, one in California and one in Miami incase I get tired and just give to my daughter.

11B
09-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Good post Ray, you and I have been defending GS not only on this site but others for quite some time. I agree whole heartedly with you that a GS coach is every bit as good in all ways with many other builders but their customer care and QC stink. If you weren't able to get your coach back to the factory for repairs.

I will stack up my Friendship anytime option for option against any other builder out there. I was one of the lucky people that stayed on my dealer to fix all problems in the beginning and they were fantastic down to even a major paint touch up and a on the road fix that GS covered with a non-dealer under warranty.

At the time I purchased my 07 friendship GS had a Western Region sales rep. by the name of Joe that was great to work with and had come to them from Nemar that told me all builders were the same when it came to warranty work. He also contacted me on one of the new constellation they built for a great price but we couldn?t make it work. Funny thing is Joe had told me of some of the new option designs (fully curved cabinets) that GS had acquired that gave them the ability to really make some fantastic changes to the interior of their coaches.

Sad to say it looks like they never got to put them to use as the economy went south. Well I guess the Shea boys feel like if they can screw over the Federal Gov. like they did on the thousands of FIMA trailers they built why worry about John Q. Public.

Sad because I was and still am a satisfied customer