PDA

View Full Version : Kwikee step not working

Kenkolen
08-08-2010, 05:54 PM
On my last trip out the step stopped working all of a sudden, no previous symptoms. The light is working so obviously there is power. It is stuck in the in position, fortunately.
Where would one start in determining the defective part?

Neal

larrybell
08-09-2010, 07:49 AM
My steps stopped working about a year ago but, unlike your situation, they were in the outward position. Since I was heading on a trip, I removed the step portion, and we went on our merry way.

A noticed the steps were working - arms moving - after we returned home. I lubricated them and I have not had a problem since.

03heritagerider
08-10-2010, 12:16 PM
A heavy dose of PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench or WD 40 may get them going again.

If they do not move, you can crawl under there and find the power lines going to the motor. They should be coming from a relay box nearby.

Cut the wires and hook up a direct line to the battery. One way would operate them in, and the other way out.

If that happens then the motor is good. If the motor is good then it is probably the relay or "brain" that tells it which way to go and when.

CAUTION!
MAKE SURE YOUR FINGERS, YOUR HANDS, YOUR HEAD AND ALL BODY PARTS ARE CLEAR OF THE STEPS!
When they move, anything caught in the mechanism can be sliced or crushed!

We had this problem last winter and it cost a couple hundred bucks to fix on the road.

Kenkolen
08-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks, now that it has stopped raining in south florida I will try out your suggestion.

Neal

Just Harleys
08-19-2010, 03:26 PM
My Kwikee died recently also. I found a replacement kit on line for $218 and installed it myself. Then it acted up again and when I took it to a professional it turned out it was the magnetic door switch going bad. I had a new switch in the kit, but had not bothered installing it. My bad.

Good luck with yours.