PDA

View Full Version : clear coat peeling

trickto322
09-14-2010, 10:04 PM
our 2006 Tourmaster has a back cap that the clear coat is starting to peel right above the camera. Has anyone had this and what have you done about it?
Thanks,
Adrian and Johnnie

03heritagerider
09-15-2010, 07:55 AM
We have an '03 Friendship and the clear has peeled from the header, the mirrors, the sides of the windshield frame and the leading edge of the "box" from which the over the door awning extends (apparently all the places that take the wind).

I've been told that all I need to do is scuff sand the entire surface to provide adhesion and to feather the edge of the old clear. Then shoot the clear. It's possible several coats will be needed with scuff sanding between.

Ive removed the door awning unit to replace the fabric, so while it's down I'm going to experiment with re-shooting the clear. Probably get to it next week some time. I will keep you posted on the results.

trickto322
09-15-2010, 09:45 AM
Now that you mention it our awning over the door is dull. What type of clear coat did you use?

RayChez1
09-15-2010, 10:34 AM
We must be lucky because we bought ours new in April of 2003 and it still looks like the day I bought it. But I did put a twelve inch scratch a few years back in Oregon. I took it to a paint shop and they said that it had three coats of clear coat. So maybe that is why it is still in good shape. I also keep my coach dry washed all the time, so that might be another factor.
If it was my coach and I would see the clear coat peeling, I sure would take action right away to prevent anymore damage.
Good luck!

03heritagerider
09-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Now that you mention it our awning over the door is dull. What type of clear coat did you use?

Haven't done it yet, but I'll probably use whatever NAPA suggests. That's where I bought the paint to fix a spot near the fog lights that I banged.