PDA

View Full Version : Generator use

Nutravlr
10-14-2010, 10:42 PM
New to Kodiak Endura 2005. Do I need to unplug shore power before try to run generator? Sounds obvious that need to unplug first so two sources do not somehow conflict with each other, but book that I got with it is silent on this. Want to try the generator. Thanks.

RJ82much
10-15-2010, 02:22 AM
No need to worry about unplugging. You have a transfer switch. When you start the generator, the coach is automatically switched to generator and the shore is isolated. When the generator is stopped, shore power is automatically reconnected. The transfer switch has a small time delay so that there is no chance of the 2 power sources being mixed.

Nutravlr
10-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Thank you, Bob, very much. Lots to learn. GS been nice but hate to call every little thing.

RJ82much
10-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Nutravlr,

Everyone on this forum is more than happy to help answer questions. We've all been there thru the school of hard knocks! Don't hesitate to ask.

One thing that isn't realized, your dealership should provide a thorough PDI (pre-delivery inspection). Often, a charge is placed on your bill for this service. I've heard of amounts as high as $100 to $200! It is supposed to be a walk-around training session for every device in your new coach. I learned the hard way to INSIST that I operate everything to become familiar. I learned that you should arrive early in the day to start your training. Ask questions, take notes, and ask more questions.

An example of my mistake, I asked what the infamous unmarked switch near the door does. The answer was, "Jees, I don't know"! I accepted that answer, thinking I'd read about it later in the owners's manual - HAH. Luckily I didn't burn out my water heater element because they also "forgot" to tell me about the hidden circuit breaker switch behind the external access panel...

Midniteoyl
10-24-2010, 11:07 AM
So... What IS that little unmarked switch by the stairs? :D