PDA

View Full Version : starting engine and generator while still plugged to 50 amp

babyrattles
10-19-2010, 05:32 PM
we have a 2006 tour master, parked long term in a RV park, it was recommended to me to start the engine and generator for a least 15 minutes per month. Should I disconnect from 50 amp shore power before starting engine and generator?

Luckiest Dreamer
10-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Should not matter! The electrical system will decide which system takes precedence and automatically switch to the proper power source.

GStream40
10-20-2010, 06:53 PM
we have a 2006 tour master, parked long term in a RV park, it was recommended to me to start the engine and generator for a least 15 minutes per month. Should I disconnect from 50 amp shore power before starting engine and generator?

You can start the chassis engine at any time since it has no effect whether you are plugged in shore power or not.

As far as the generator, the transfer switch should switch to generator power from shore power BUT I had an experience where the transfer switch delay module went bad right after I started the generator while plugged into shore power. Was it caused by being plugged in and starting the generator? I don't know for sure. But it cost me $141.00 to repair.

So now I always unplug before starting the generator. I also run the generator UNDER load with both airs on for at least 1/2 hour per month when at a site long term and also run the generator the same every month when the coach is in storage.

Ron