PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV connections

Luckiest Dreamer
12-07-2010, 09:04 AM
I am attempting to install the direct TV receiver that we use in our house in the MH. I have a 2008 Gulfstream 40A Tourmaster. It has 4 TV?s connected thru a AV5200HD Audio/Video box. The front TV is at the #4 position and the bedroom is # 2. The only location the Direct TV receiver will fit is in the bedroom. That TV is connected to a wall box with the three wire RCA type plugs Red, white, yellow. It also has an Antenna coax connected to a wall plate with two connection points and it is connected to the top point. The receiver has used the HDMI cable when in the house and the MH TV?s do not have this option.
The Satellite antenna is a KVH 4. All of its controls and connection pads are above the driver?s seat well away from the bedroom TV.
The KVH has never been used. I believe there is some set up needed. I am totally lost.
Any step by step help out there?

Chuck v
12-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Dreamer,

The coax from the roof mounted dish comes into the front "entertainment equipment cabinet" over the windshield on your coach -- just to the left of the front TV. To my knowledge, it does not go anywhere else in the coach. The below image is representative of how these GS units are wired. Your unit uses the more capable AV5200HD Audio/Video box instead of the composite video AVS100, but the architecture is similar.

You would need to have an additional coax run from the current satellite dish to a bedroom receiver if you want two receivers, but may only need to EXTEND the coax to the bedroom area if you are only using one receiver at that location. Remember that the coax must be high quality and capable of 1.5 gigahertz bandwidth, so even if you were inclined to 'remap' the coax from the distribution box to the off-air/cable run to the bedroom TV, that particular piece of coax may not be of the right quality to support the higher frequencies needed to communicate between the dish on the roof and the DirecTV receiver equipment.

Further, if you locate the sat receiver at a location other than near the A/V distribution box, you cannot route the satellite content to all the other TV sets in your coach...

http://www.gsowners.com/attachments/photobucket/img_12568_13e0434cbd2170f9bb78591ce12eea85.jpg

Chuck

Keys Cruiser
12-26-2010, 08:08 PM
I believe I can be of some assistance to you.... If you would like to Email me I would be happy to share with you some of what I have learned.

[email protected]