PDA

View Full Version : What Are These Things?

Jim_PEI
04-11-2011, 06:12 PM
I bought my Class A 2008 Independence about a year and a half ago, in storage for about 12 months, and have about 6-8 of these "things" and I don't know what they are. I found them in one of my storage bays. They are about two feet long, made of metal (heavy), circluar of about two inches in diameter, and with a square 3-4 inch pad at one end. They are pretty heavy for not being very big, so probably are important. I thought maybe for the awning, but don't have a clue.

Thanks, Jim :?

Texas TC
04-11-2011, 08:47 PM
They are slide-out braces. They go between the edge of the slide and the wall of the coach. They are supposed to keep the slide-out from accidentally going out in transit. I use mine for a lot of different things but have never used them for what they were intended.

Good luck,

TxTC

Jim_PEI
04-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks TxTC, dare I ask what you use them for?

Anyone else use them for their purpose, and if so, how do they fit on?

Jim

Texas TC
04-17-2011, 10:29 AM
I use them for load locks in some of my storage bays and for hose/cable hangers in others. They work great for either application.

TxTC

Texas TC
04-17-2011, 10:50 AM
As for the procedure for using those "things":

Close the slides.

Place one of the load bars (things) between the lip of the slide and the wall horizontal to the floor near the top and bottom of the side. Turn the shaft to tighten the pads to the wall and lip.

Repeat this procedure on the front and rear of each slide.

These load bars are simply safety devices to hold your slide secure during transit. I do not choose to use them as intended and do not know anyone who does. Maybe others on this site use them and can further explain why they feel compelled to do so. I have never had a slide come loose or try to open while I was on a trip. I have electric motors on my slides so the gear does not release the slide until the power is applied. It may be more of an issue if you have hydraulic slides but I feel that electric slide motors and gears hold the unit in place fairly well.

Good luck,

TxTC