PDA

View Full Version : Optima Batteries?

Texas TC
06-21-2011, 04:23 PM
I have 49 months on my original house batteries and they are getting weak. So.....it is time to make a change. I am considering going to Optima maintenance free batteries. They cost considerably more than standard wet batteries but are supposed to last longer. My only concern is that the converter/charger on the SuperNova charges consistently. It is not a smart charger that cuts off when the battery has obtained maximum strength. On my wet batteries, the charger would simply boil out the water. I added a pump system to the original batteries that made it easy to fill but they required water at least once per month.

I don't mind spending the money to get a better battery but would hate to ruin them by over-charging.

Has anyone used Optima maintenance free batteries with the standard converter/charger? Any feedback would be appreciated to help me make my decision.

schmittm
06-21-2011, 06:26 PM
I put in two of the largest blue top Optimas before this last winter and so far no problem. I can tell you they work better and do last longer. I do leave my coach plugged in with the attic fan running and the fridge on. I think the only way to tell or know if it is a problem is going to be time. I did buy one of those fancy chargers that cycles and shuts off (about $100), but I don't use it all the time. I am happy so far, but they were expensive.