PDA

View Full Version : Residential Refrigerator

Greyhound
07-22-2011, 01:17 PM
We have a 2008 Tourmaster with the residential refrigerator and upon returning from a short trip to Oregon, we noticed the refrigerator had shifted. :shock: This was caused by the upper brackets that held the top in place had broke. These brackets (my coach) were made of aluminum and apparently over time had flexed enough to snap. Forunately the bottom brackets held.
Had new brackets made (out of metal) to prevent this from happening again. This was a $250.00 out of pocket expense that could have been avoided had GS used a metal instead of Aluminum.
This also took it's toll on the moulding and the refrigerator paint. Touch up paint comes in handy.
This is a heads up for all who have this refrigerator installed. You may want to check them out to prevent this from happening to your coach.

RayChez1
07-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Those residential type refrigerators, how do they run when dry camping. Do they also have a way to run on propane or do you have to have the generator running most of the time once the inverter runs the batteries down.

jtking
07-25-2011, 12:59 PM
The Refrigerator runs off the inverter or generator (only works on 120v no propane). The generator will recharge the inverter batteries. By the way one of our aluminum brackets also broke.

JoeS
07-25-2011, 05:20 PM
I have seen a lot of recalls on many Rv's lately from 08 forward check out , maybe you can get some compensation for your troubles or have the correct parts fixed for free.

http://www.usrecallnews.com/index.php?s ... l+vehicles (http://www.usrecallnews.com/index.php?s=recreational+vehicles)

Greyhound
07-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks for info on recalls. Looked at quickly and did not see anything related refrigerators/Gulf Stream. With all the good luck I had trying to get things completed under warranty, I felt it was easier to bite the bullet and pay it out of pocket. I had considered sending a letter to GS regarding this, but that too often results in no response. We love our coach and use it constantly, so I would rather have the warm fuzzies from using the coach and not have them ruined communicating with GS.

Chuck v
07-29-2011, 11:21 PM
Greyhound and jtking,

Guess I had better check the top brackets on my 2007 TM -- how many miles on your coaches with the failed top attachment hardware?

Chuck

jtking
07-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Chuck,
One bracket (the one on the top right side) broke last fall. I'm guessing the mileage was around 10-11,000 at the time.
John

David Bott
08-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Happy to report...49K miles and still holding. (Also a T40-B)

Arthur Hayes
08-10-2011, 11:01 AM
I figured that I had better check mine and found that the right one had broken. Removed same and now have to figure out how to make or buy some kind of replacement.
Thanks for the heads up, by the way I have just over 30,000 miles on the unit.

tarheel
08-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Art-
I just checked my upper brackets and it appears that one is still holding, but the left side one doesn't appear that it was ever attached. The bracket appears to be alright. However, I can't get a real good look at them. How did you gain access? It appears that the wooden panel above the refrigerator has to be removed and before I attempt to tear into it, I was wondering how others removed that panel.

Dick

RayChez1
08-21-2011, 01:53 PM
I was reading with interest about the Samsung refrigerator that could be used if the Norcold 1200 LRIM ever goes out. So I went and measured my 1200 and it seems like the Samsung is the same depth, width, but it is like three and a half inches higher then the Norcold. It would not fit into my coach, unless some serious modifications are made going down. Can't go up because the top of my 1200 is already at the ceiling.
How are you guys modifying your TourMasters?

tarheel
08-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Mine, and I believe most, if not all, of the Tourmasters came from the factory with a full size residential electric refrigerator installed.

stonesfan
09-02-2011, 03:28 PM
We own a 2008 Tour Master with a Residential Fridge, have had no Problems with the Brackets over Fridge as of yet......................................... :)
Only Problem right now, is trying to keep the Freezer Full of SALMON............................................ .............. :D

Stoney