PDA

View Full Version : Sony Surround sound System

Bill Reetz
09-15-2006, 11:53 AM
I have the sony surround sound system but can't figure out how to listen to the TV through it. I can get it to work watching a DVD but with the front air I end up cranking the TV volume up to almost max to hear it.

Any one had any luck doing this?

GStream40
09-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Welcome to the Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum !! :)

I am sort of red faced to admit this since we are on our second Gulf Stream with the surround sound and we haven't figured how to get the TV sound to come through the surround sound. :oops:

I just haven't put it on the top of my list, yet.

Maybe one of the other members can tell us how or if it can be done.

Ron

djqualls
09-18-2006, 09:38 AM
Assuming that the motor is off, and at the moment you are getting sound from your dvd this will ensure that the radio over-ride switch is set correctly (if you have one) and your Sony is like mine.......

There is an input button on mine which is about the 3rd from the right on the button panel of the Sony. The display will read Video when it is set to the televsion. if that doesn't give you audio then try different confugirations with your multi swticher and also see if the audio out lines from the tv are connected to the inputs on the Sony.

There are a lot of simple variables that could be causing the problem. I had to take mine all apart to finally find the tv audio out not connected.

Dave..........

GStream40
09-18-2006, 12:44 PM
There are a lot of simple variables that could be causing the problem. I had to take mine all apart to finally find the tv audio out not connected.

Dave..........

Dave, Are you talking about a wire in the back not being connected?

Ron

Bill Reetz
09-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Tried again this weekend, DVD sound is great, forgot to bring a video tape to try the vcr. Still I could not get the TV sound to play through the system. I tried every setting on the Sony box and every input of the seletctor box . Really don't want to try tearing the TV out to see if it's wired correctly. Probably just another of those guess I'll live with it things.

GStream40
12-21-2006, 07:40 AM
I finally got around to senting an email last week to Gulf Stream asking the question of "How" to get the TV sound to play thru the surround sound speakers.

I received a reply this morning from the Electrical Engineering Department at GSC:

2004 Yellowstone 8408YSB serial # 58-4-A-8408YSB-XXXX was built in 11-03-03;
the option you are talking about was implemented close to that time frame.

The easy way to tell if your coach had that option is to look on the back of
your DVD player and see if you have a right and left Audio cable plugged
into Audio1 input, if this cable is there it runs from Audio out on the back
of your front TV.

Now to make this operate you need to place your TV on the station you want
to watch and turn your DVD player to the on position go to the function
button on your DVD player and place it on Audio 1 then adjust the volume on
your DVD player, this will allow your TV to play through your surround
sound.

I will be checking to see if we have the cables and if it works as stated next week when we get to Florida. One of the final mysteries is now solved on our coach. :lol:

Sure glad we don't have a VCR installed, then I would have to figure out how to get the 12:00 to stop blinking. :lol: :oops: :roll:

Ron

earljan34
12-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Ron, Thanks for the info I keep forgetting as the wife doesn't like the surround sound. On mine set to L 1 and it works with TV also changes stations with TV remote, But you can also go to ch on DVD and then put in station # just another way to make it work. :roll:

Earl

GStream40
12-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks Earl for the info and I will check it out also.

As far as changing the channel on the TV, we use the DirecTV sat most of the time so the TV stays on the video position for the input from the satellite receiver.

If I don't have the option cables that GSC mentioned from the TV to the DVD audio1 input, I will run cables from the satellite receiver audio outputs to the DVD and feed directly from it.

More than one way to "skin a cat" as the saying goes. :)

My wife also doesn't like surround sound, but she doesn't like having the TV turned up loud to hear a program either when the front air conditioner is running either. So I guess she will have to take the lesser of two evils. :lol:

Ron