PDA

View Full Version : Coach side sewer hose connection

JD1790
10-28-2012, 03:12 PM
We are fairly new to RV'ng so maybe we're overlooking something. We have a 2004 Gulfstream Sunvoyager 8351. When hooking up the sewer hose to the coach there is a hole in the bottom compartment that unscrews and supposedly the hose fits up through it and connects to the black/gray sewer line. There is no way to get a hose with any fitting on it through the hole so we have to leave the door open and bring the sewer hose through this way. Any suggestions? Appreciate any responses.

Keys Cruiser
10-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Agreed... What you are saying makes no sense... Any chance ou could post a couple of photos?

03heritagerider
10-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Yeah, unless you have some kind of odd ball connection, those openings are made to allow the hose, with the connector attached, to fit through. Photos would be helpful.

JD1790
10-29-2012, 03:34 PM
I have tried to upload two photos....would not let me. The hole is 3.5 inches. The hose with fittings is 4" ??

03heritagerider
10-29-2012, 05:08 PM
O.K. We're dealing with some severe weather here in the north east right now. As soon as I can, I'll go out and measure the same items on my coach.

JD1790
10-30-2012, 02:16 AM
Thanks ...no hurry. Take care of yourself and be safe.

JD1790
10-30-2012, 02:45 AM
Finally able to load the photos. This may help.

03heritagerider
10-30-2012, 08:26 AM
That helps, but if you can, back up a bit and take another photo to let us see the whole area. It's difficult to tell the positioning of the opening in relation to the coach. Something just doesn't look right :?

JD1790
10-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Here is one a little further away. I did talk to the dealer where we bought this morning and he will look at it next week when we go up for some scheduled service.

Hope the bad weather hasn't been too bad to you.

Thanks again

holmesaw
10-30-2012, 05:30 PM
You are correct. we have the same coach and there is not a hose connection made that will fit thru that hole.
What moron designed this? Obviously never tested.

03heritagerider
10-30-2012, 06:04 PM
O.K. That photo helped...sort of!

I enlarged the photo 200% to get a good look and all I can come up with is a theory.

First, I've never seen a set up like that. If someone on here has a clue, I would hope they would chime in. You may also want to copy this thread (or reference it) on the plumbing forum index.

It almost looks like the hose will fit through the opening if the fitting is removed. You can confirm this.

If I were to guess (and again it's only a guess), I would say that it is set up to use a hose with twist-in fittings, rather than the ones that require a hose clamp to hold the fittings in place. It also looks to me that you currently have the twist-in fittings on your sewer hose.

If my above assumption is correct, then the easy way would be to remove the fitting from the hose that attaches to the coach's drain. Pass the hose through the opening from the outside. Then twist the fitting back onto the hose so it can be attached to the coach drain. (The fittings that require a clamp to hold them onto the hose are too difficult to be attaching and detaching all the time).

If my theory is in fact the case, I would consider going to the RV supply store and, if there is enough room, install a larger port so the hose will fit with the fittings attached. If you look closely, you can see the ring is attached to the surface with either bolts or rivets.

If there is not enough room on the vertical surface where the port is currently installed, you may be able to install a larger one on the floor of the compartment. On my coach the port is on the compartment floor directly below the drainage connector.

I hope all of this makes sense :wink: and I hope it helps!

JD1790
10-30-2012, 10:40 PM
Thanks for all the info. Yes the hose will fit through the hole without the fitting and you're right ...the hole frame is riveted. When we take the coach back to the dealer next week I will let you know what they have to say.

GULFSTREAMER37
11-25-2012, 07:46 PM
I just picked up my first RV and it has the same set up the coach came with a hose with only 1 bayonet fitting on it so the hose does fit through easily but unless you plan to lay the hose out Christmas vacation style it doesn't work.

I am permanently mounting a bayonet fitting and short hose to that hole, I already installed a 45 Degree Clear elbow to the dump outlet to better line up with the hole.

I thought is was foolish to uses such a small opening but I think I figured out a way to make this Simpler.

RayChez1
11-27-2012, 07:57 PM
The cover that unscrews at the bottom of my coach is 5 1/2" in diameter. I think I would find a way to cut a hole big enough and modify what you have. I am sure some company manufactures the bigger cover that our coach has.

03heritagerider
11-28-2012, 06:47 AM
Gulfstreamer37,
Welcome and post some photos when you have completed your fix. It may help JD1790 and anyone else with the same issue.

------------------------------------------------------------
Ray,
I agree with you. It just looks like there isn't enough material to enlarge the existing opening. Probably going through the floor would be best location for a new opening.

JD1790
11-28-2012, 07:30 AM
Thanks for all the info. I did talk to the dealer (not a GulfStream dealer) and he seemed amazed that the opeing was so small. Suggestion was the same. Cut a larger hole in the floor. I plan on doing that and also edging it with some type of gasket/grommet material. Will also make a "plug" for it when not in use. Will try to get some photos when I have this completed.

Dick

03heritagerider
11-28-2012, 09:30 AM
If you have the room it's an easy fix. It doesn't have to be air/water tight. Just cut a hole (round or square), screw in a hinge and a slide bolt and you're done for less than $3.00.

JD1790
11-28-2012, 09:41 AM

larrybell
11-30-2012, 07:17 AM
I have a hose that fits through this hole. I bought a coupling, both pieces are straight, that fits through the hole. I have forgotten the name of the vendor, but it is sold by Camping World, and it is blue in color.

JD1790
11-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Larry, Do you have a photo of it? Does it have to be clamped everytime it is used?

Dick

larrybell
12-01-2012, 08:57 AM
No, I don't have a photo. Go to Camping World's web site and search Blueline. You will see the connections in the picture of item 31212. I don't use a clamp. So far, the friction fit has worked.

GStream40
12-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Here's a link to the described fittings:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/blueline-ultimate-sewer-kit/31212

Scroll down at the Campng World page to see the individual fittings.

Ron

GULFSTREAMER37
12-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Here is What I did to solve the issue.

I bought a 5 ft Rhino Flex hose, took the end off there are 4 tabs I cut them down with side cutters but left enough of the tabs on so I can practially Thread the fitting in the hole then shortened the hose accordingly and reassembled the fitting, I am still working on an Idea to secure it better, I am thinking 2 part epoxy to seal it and a hose clamp on the inside to keep it from moving while the epoxy hardens.

I may also loosen the Y pipe and swivel it back so I can fit my short 45 degree clear view adapter, also Rhino flex, this will give me more storage room.

Ted

03heritagerider
12-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Nice!

JD1790
12-04-2012, 07:21 AM
Thanks Ted...nice work. I have been working on the same Idea although I am using a rhino elbow at the end. Will also send photos when I am through.

GULFSTREAMER37
12-04-2012, 07:48 AM
Thanks Ted...nice work. I have been working on the same Idea although I am using a rhino elbow at the end. Will also send photos when I am through.

I am curious to see what you come up with.

GULFSTREAMER37
01-10-2013, 10:45 AM

Works like a Charm.

How did you make out with yours?

RayChez1
03-01-2013, 09:27 PM
On my coach it has a six inch flat plate that unscrews and I finally found where they got this equipment. If you go to goggle and the name of the company is called:(First Choice Marine) then go on their search engine and type deck plates. The part that mine has is a: Attwood inspection Port 6" ABS white #12792-5 they sell for around twelve bucks.

GULFSTREAMER37
03-02-2013, 10:28 AM
On my coach it has a six inch flat plate that unscrews and I finally found where they got this equipment. If you go to goggle and the name of the company is called:(First Choice Marine) then go on their search engine and type deck plates. The part that mine has is a: Attwood inspection Port 6" ABS white #12792-5 they sell for around twelve bucks.

Thanks for the lead but it does not seem to be enough room on mine for a 6 inch diameter plate.

nemo45
03-02-2013, 10:46 AM
There is a sewer hose sold at Campingworld that is gray in color and has blue fittings on each end. They are just press on fittings and not much bigger than those hose itself. I'm sure these would fit the hole. They make several connections for the hose which could be connected to your outlet. The you can push the hose thru the hole and it just presses on to the connection you have choosen. I went out and measured the hose ends and they are 3-5/16" in dia. The are called Blueline. They are on sale right now online at Campingworld for $44.99, Blueline Ultimate Sewer Kit would have everything you need and you wouldn't have to alter the hole.

GULFSTREAMER37
03-02-2013, 10:52 AM
There is a sewer hose sold at Campingworld that is gray in color and has blue fittings on each end. They are just press on fittings and not much bigger than those hose itself. I'm sure these would fit the hole. They make several connections for the hose which could be connected to your outlet. The you can push the hose thru the hole and it just presses on to the connection you have choosen. I went out and measured the hose ends and they are 3-5/16" in dia.

You are correct but I already had the Rhino stuff and like it so I made it work in the picture above.

I No longer have to feed anything through the hole just connect to my external connection now, Smooth easy and no mess.

84beetleconv
09-01-2021, 11:07 AM
I have the same problem, but I feel the item in this picture, will solve the problem, if it downloaded