PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the top cover

Barry70Stang
07-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Hi folks,

I've recently purchased an 06 Cavalier to use as my hunting camp. I bought it kind of on an impulse, and I'm kind of regretting it now. For starters, the people that had it smoked heavily, and I'm having a heck of a time getting the smoke smell out. Second, I discovered that it has damage from a leak on the back corner, the wood is rotten. I'm afraid the cost of getting the wood repaired and getting a new roof installed will cost WAY more than this rig is worth. Do you guys have any advice? BTW, this is my first travel trailer. If I do decide to keep it, I plan on putting it under one of those carport type covers, which should pretty well keep it out of the weather.

Thanks,

Barry

wvabeer
12-18-2013, 03:36 AM
I just purchased one too and have rotten wood over the shower.

TammyJenkins
02-13-2014, 09:13 AM
I also bought a 2006 park model from a friend who got it unused. It had been in covered storage, and was used by his son for 2 years. So I now own it and have been it full time 6 months. I love living in this thing. Yes, it's tight and hard to keep clean with 2 dogs, and yes I know I have some serious repairs coming up in the Spring, but I only paid 1500 for it, knowing of major repairs to be done and I am not a well healed individual, but I LOVE to tinker.

Having said that, I understand from other forums that some units were cheated on subfloors and roofs/sealant/design. As a result of unknown issues with the roof, it has had rain coming down the back wall by the bunks since it left storage. I have to replace (at least) the roof -properly, and the subfloor. I may also have to replace some rotten joists or at least sister in some new. That's okay, because I will make modifications. In addition, the lighting and bathroom electric does not work. I see this as a live-in project and will stay in it as long as I possibly can while remodelling.

So I have no advice yet, but hang in there and I will share with you what I learn along the way. The real trick is to think smart about a project before spending the money for what may be a wrong repair or one made out of order with other repairs that may need to be done first.