PDA

View Full Version : Class C towing

juan
11-06-2006, 10:08 PM
Hi everyone!

After years of trailering, we just bought a 2001 GS Cavalier 29 ft Class C with the V-10. We just came back from our first trip and all was good, for the most part. I have a few comments and questions. First and foremost I can't believe how easy this thing drives! I have driven two different Class A's from coast to coast (for my parents) and I did not like the way they handled at all. Hence the trailering. But this class C is a breeze!

Gas milage: we got 8.1 mpg. I kept it between 60 and 65 mph most of the time. While a bit better than either of my parents 454 powered mh's I was hoping for better milage. Is this normal?

The drivers seat: It doesn't go back that far because of the dinnette chair behind it. Bummer but I got used to it, kind of.

Filling the water tank: more water came out then went in! Even after I cut 10" off the end off one of my garden hoses, shoved it down the pipe and turned the pressure way down!

Gray water and black water gauges: After dumping it took about 20 minuts before they showed empty, then after very little use that showed 1/3 full again. Are that very accurate?

My real question: I have a 20ft box trailer that I use to pull motorcycles in. It wieghs about 4500 lbs loaded. The GS did not come with an owners manual but the label inside suggests 3500 lb towing capacity.
Can I tow my 4500 lb box trailer? I don't think I'm anywhere near the GCWR.

The specs: UVW 10898, GVWR 14050, GCWR 17550.

Thanks
Juan

GStream40
11-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Hi Juan,
Welcome to the Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum! :)

The 3500 lb. limit is probably the capacity of your hitch and it probably also what Gulf Stream engineers figure would be the capacity of the extended frame that is welded onto the chassis for your motorhome.

Ron

secrt007agt
12-08-2008, 07:17 AM
There a couple of SAFE options for towing large trailers, perhaps even exceeding normal limits. These are made especially for RV's;

https://www.shogunindustries.com (tuff-tow)

or

http://www.trailertoad.com/

woodworker414
12-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Hi Juan, we have a 2003 Cavalier, 29.5' V-10, if we hang around 60, with rough figureing in my head and only 2 trips, we are getting around 10 mpg, I'm happy with that. I don't have any trouble filling my water tank, fills pretty quick, I don't know how many gals it holds, this mh came without manuals. My holding tanks empty really fast, no problem there. the gauge works just fine. Have a great time with your mh.
Bill