PDA

View Full Version : A/C Burning Smell

fpierce
03-12-2014, 12:03 AM
Hi - I have 2006 Tour Master T-40. Turned on the A/C and noticed a burning smell. An earlier post suggested a capacitor may be the culprit. However, I'm not sure how to ID my A/C model. It's the A/C unit in the passenger side basement area. Any T-40 owners who might know? Thanks!

RayChez1
03-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Not sure about TourMasters, but I was wondering if you might have had the heat pump on instead of the air conditioner?

fpierce
03-12-2014, 11:02 AM
I don't believe so. However, I'll try it again to be certain. Growing old makes me less certain...

howermj
03-18-2014, 10:38 AM
You don't have a heat strip in the basement air of the 2006 TM. Your front and rear roof air (if they were added) might have heat strips installed. Also, if you have Dometic A/Cs on the roof, the starter capacitor may have fried.

That said, if it is your basement air causing the burning smell, it could come from anywhere. Our basement air circulated a burning smell from a melted battery solenoid in the nearby engine electronics compartment. Smelled up the whole coach, and took forever to diagnose/repair. I would start with checking how your electrical system works...all the lights, chargers charging stuff they are supposed to charge, battery boost working. This is what clued us into the battery solenoid.