PDA

View Full Version : Stairs not retracting

LabCab
08-19-2014, 08:12 PM
The electric stairs were working after we parked (at home thankfully). Went to move the rig and they will not retract.
Anyone have any ideas? Checked fuses -OK. Not sure where to start. Thanks.

jpf
08-21-2014, 12:37 PM
check the override switch, mine is in the step well next to switches for outside light, indoor lights and storage bin lights.
check all your batteries are fully charged.
does the light under the step come on when the door is open?

I just went through the hassle of fault finding and replacing both controller and motor.

there is a fault finding PDF http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/Step%20Troubleshooting%20Flow%20Chart.pdf
that is good except for the bit about checking the motor. the motor voltage only runs for a few seconds after opening or closing
the door. I changed the contol box first then the motor. it's not a particularly difficult job - just awkward, especially for one person.

LabCab
08-23-2014, 03:23 PM
Thanks! Will try it as soon as I get back in town.

LabCab
09-05-2014, 09:04 PM
Well........... I finally got to the stairs. A friend of mind gave me a hint on what to try.
I hit (tapped) the motor with a hammer GENTLY............. WaLa. Works like to should. :lol:
Some times ya just have to give it a wack!

38Chevy454
09-06-2014, 12:02 PM
You might have a worn spot or bad spot on the elec motor. Tapping it could have helped the brushes to seat slightly different. The stairs use a power window motor. A dead spot is also common on P/W since they stop at the same spot at the top. It is good you were able to get them to retract, but your fix may not be a long term solution.

In (I think irv2 forum) I read that the stairs P/W motor is a Ford style unit, used in many different vehicles. I read the person that fixed his used a 95 Taurus left front P/W motor. You might take a good look at yours, and then compare to the Ford P/W and if same, get a replacement. Whole lot less cost than a replacement through PowerGear for the same thing.

LabCab
09-07-2014, 08:38 PM
YTHANK YOU. I'll look up the info on ther motor and switch it out. :D