PDA

View Full Version : Genset quits while driving in the rain

JIMNINA
08-11-2015, 06:12 PM
We have a 03 Yellow Stone with a Quite Onan genset. The unit works great except when it rains. When it rains the unit will just shut off and usually will start right back up and continue to run. Once in a while we have to wait a few minutes before it will restart and stay running. The amount of rain usually doesn't matter. I think it quits if it smells rain :D

RayChez1
08-12-2015, 08:11 PM
Wow! That is a good one. I would say some wires are getting wet on the harness somewhere, but how is the water getting to the harness and creating a short? This is a diesel pusher right?

JIMNINA
08-13-2015, 05:09 PM
Yep,
Its got a CAT 330.
I can't see where any water is getting in, but I haven't remove any of the covers.
I'm thinking of taking a hose to it and see if I can get it to shut down??

RayChez1
08-20-2015, 08:19 PM
It seems to me that I read somewhere that there is a coupler connector on the harness on the genset that has fuses in it. Some where having problems with the coach genset starting when you least expected it. It seems to me that some suggested that while washing the coach or rain water was getting into this connection and actually shorting it to start the genset. They were recommending taking it apart and applying some kind of a lubricant that would repel water.