PDA

View Full Version : Furnace

03heritagerider
01-09-2016, 06:08 AM
Last week I ran the furnaces on the way to Florida and had no issues. This week, we had a chilly night and in the morning I ran the rear furnace for a few minutes to take the chill off. When the furnace shut off, it made a squealing sound, as if the fan was slowing down and squealing until it stopped.

When I tried to turn it on again, there was nothing. The fan did not run and the furnace did not light.

(Normal operation when furnace comes on: fan starts first then you hear the flame come on. When it reaches temperature, furnace and fan shut down.)

I took both the interior and exterior covers off looking for something (don't know what), but saw nothing unusual. The thermostat works, since most of the days have been pretty warm and the AC is cycling properly.

Is there something I should be looking for? Breaker/fuse?

My thinking is a fan issue. I'm assuming if the fan does not run, the furnace will not light. Am I right?

Thanks.

Chuck v
01-09-2016, 05:37 PM
I replied to your other thread in case you are mostly watching this one...

03heritagerider
03-19-2016, 09:41 AM
Sorry it took so long for the follow up.

Had an RV tech that works here in the park take a look. He also thought it was the motor bearings, so he ordered me a new motor. When it arrived he pulled the motor and noticed the squirrel cage (fan blades) had actually melted to the side of the housing. He suspected it was caused by friction of the blades but could not determine the cause.

Anyway, since the motor seemed to be O.K., he replaced the squirrel cage and all was good. ($80.00 total bill) Since it was replaced, the weather warmed up and the furnace was only used once.