PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Diesel Scenic Cruiser - Three Thermostats?

CoachStreamr
10-05-2017, 03:28 PM
The Coach has two rooftop Coleman AC units and two Coleman Thermostats, one in the kitchen/dining area and one in the bedroom.

There is another RobertShaw Thermostat above the Coleman in the kitchen/dining area and I can't figure out what it is for.

The Coleman Thermostat in the Kitchen/Dining area controls the front roof AC and (on Heat setting) the Suburban Furnace - the system is ducted in the floor with a vent (or vents) in the basement near the tanks. The bedroom Coleman Thermostat controls the Bedroom/Rear roof AC but does nothing for the furnace (on Heat setting).

The last owner (2nd) thought that RobertShaw Thermostat controlled the basement heat but I explained about the vents down there and I could feel it warming up when I had the heat going up top inside. Then he thought maybe that RobertShaw Thermostat was for running off the batteries when no generator or shore power.

I turned the bottom switch to On (right) on the RobertShaw Thermostat and when I moved the upper switch past the current interior temperature, I can hear the click. The furnace does not come on (at least the blower) and I don't hear any other sound. I left those switches in those positions (top one at max) for several minutes.

Any ideas what the top Thermostat is for?

Curious if any other Scenic Cruiser from that era have these three Thermostats.

EDIT: I just watched the following video about the Suburban SF-42 Furnace (which is in this Coach) and he talks (@4:58 mins) about the 2nd Blue wire and the old style on/off slider type thermostats (like the Robert Shaw). Not sure if this is relevant or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLDUrkL19Fw

http://www.gsowners.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=9&pictureid=19

Sundancer268
10-07-2017, 06:02 PM
If it is still installed, it is for the Fantastic Fan above the Stove area. The little lever on the lower left turns the fan on or off and the upper lever sets the temperature the fan cycles on or off as the coach heats or cools.

RayChez1
10-07-2017, 06:35 PM
My 2002 Scenic Cruiser has only one thermostat and it controls front and rear heat pumps/air conditioners by zones. It also controls the furnace and fans.

dpmckeown
10-09-2017, 11:05 AM
My 98 scenic cruiser has 3 also. 1 in the bedroom and 2 like you described in the dining/kitchen area. When a temp is set the robertshaw starts a blower like described above. I just didn't leave on long enough to see if it starts heating.