PDA

View Full Version : We replaced the 'wedge' mattress in our 5245.

Beachnut
09-02-2018, 10:12 AM
We were extremely unhappy with that strange wedge mattress in our RV. Not to mention uncomfortable, it began to fall apart after only a few times out, so
we bit the bullet and had one made by Tochta. Being that it's not an inexpensive purchase, I thought I'd mention it in case anyone here has thought about it. Well, we love it, and I feel it was a worthwhile investment! They were able to put a 'hinge' where I asked them to, so it folds easily when we bring the slide in. I also ordered it about 59" wide, and it doesn't scrape under that phone shelf.
Happy travels!

CaryL
09-09-2018, 11:22 AM
Hi Beachnut. You definitely got my interest. I have thought about how to design one. Where did you place the hinge? Does it hinge toward the bottom and flip upward? How does it work with fitted sheets? Cheers Cary

Beachnut
09-10-2018, 05:41 AM
Hi Cary~
My husband put a piano hinge in the plywood base of the bed in order to get to the pump easier, so we matched the hinge of the mattress to it at about 24" from the foot. Yes, it flips upward and over the larger part of the mattress. Works great!

solon4378
08-29-2019, 08:49 PM
Cary
Do you have a pic of the hinge and work your husband did in bed plywood?
Paul

CaryL
08-30-2019, 05:31 AM
Solon4378, It was Beachnut and her husband that put in the hinge. But I agree a pic of the hinge and design of the mattress would be a great help.

FYI - I relocated my water pump to under the 'step' on the left side of the bed. I just pull off the carpet covered face plate to access when I winterize. You need the slide out to easily access though. I also insulated the opening for the water hose while I was in the area.

Cheers, Cary

Tribewinds
11-18-2019, 10:28 PM
Hi Beachnut,
Would you please post pictures of the mattress and bed board hinge fix. It would be so helpful to see this. I can't stand my 5245 split mattress!

Macman43
02-05-2021, 08:41 PM
Hi Beachnut,
Would love to see pictures of the mattress you had custom made for your BTC 5245. Maybe one with slide in and one with slide out. I would love to get a replacement before the season begins.

JohnathanSmith69
05-10-2021, 03:09 PM
anyway to please post a photo and link to it