PDA

View Full Version : Saggy 35' '99 Gulfstream Sun Voyager

bellportman
09-06-2018, 06:20 PM
It seems the coach (rear) is leaning to the left when parked. In measuring the distance from the top of the rear wheels to the wheel well opening, there is a 3" difference. Left wheel being even, right wheel having a 3" clearance.
Anyone seen this before?

Thanks for any help!

Craig

Big Shasta
09-07-2018, 04:24 AM
Broken leaf spring?

Sudsy
09-07-2018, 11:32 AM
It seems the coach (rear) is leaning to the left when parked. In measuring the distance from the top of the rear wheels to the wheel well opening, there is a 3" difference. Left wheel being even, right wheel having a 3" clearance.
Anyone seen this before?

Thanks for any help!

Craig

What chassis do you have? If you aren't sure then ...
What motor do you have?
Is the difference in measured dimensions from the frame rail to the axle? or...
From the camper box to the tire and the frame to axle dimension is the same on both sides (or close). This would indicate a failure of the camper box construction. Otherwise it's just a suspension problem that can be fixed much easier and less costly than repairing a broken box frame/floor or both.

Sudsy

RayChez1
09-16-2018, 02:56 PM
I am assuming you have a gasoline Sun Voyager. If so, then I agree with the previous post that you might have a broken leaf spring on that side that is lower.

And if your coach is a diesel pusher, then it would have a ride control valve that might be going bad and would need replacing. It could also be an air bag gone bad.

madkinson
09-16-2018, 06:02 PM
I agree with RayChez1: We need to know your chassis type to help; gas or DP.

bellportman
09-16-2018, 09:59 PM
First, it's a gasser. Here's the punchline.... I took it to my mechanic, total look-over under and over. No problems found anywhere! Actually, buy the time I got it to the shop, the lean was gone, but I wanted him to check anyway!
It did sit in the side of the house for months AND I measured from the top of the (New) tires to the wheel-well seeing the distance different.
Not a clue! No air bags either, BUT the mechanic did say the rear shocks were leaking.... maybe?
Thanks All!

Restorium
09-17-2018, 06:15 AM
Shocks will not matter when parked unless they are bent or something.

GPappy
09-17-2018, 09:52 AM
I also have a '99 Sun Voyager (gas) and it also sags on the left (drivers) side. Inspected everything and all is good! The problem seems to be that with two slides, propane tank, the fresh water tank favoring the left side and the grey and black tanks having the "deep" end on the same side there is just more weight on the drivers side of the chassis. I bought mine used and it was totally empty when I picked it up. It sat pretty good then.
I did run into another '99 Sun Voyager a while back that had the bed room slide on the right (passenger) side. I asked them if it leaned when closed up and they had no idea. LOL

Restorium
09-17-2018, 10:08 AM
And if it sits on a grade all the liquid will gravitate to one side. Quote; It did sit in the side of the house for months

Restorium
09-17-2018, 10:17 AM
That's another reason I'm glad we don't have slides on our '99.