PDA

View Full Version : 08 super nova hard starting

Romingrob
10-27-2018, 07:57 AM
We bought a 2008 super nova. International with Cummings Diesel and noticed that cold starting would crank and smoke while trying to start.
Turn the key, wait for start light. Then crank 2-3 minutes stop ( smoke, fuel from exhaust)and start the process over, crank 2-3 minutes and would smoke heavily after starting. I mean really heavy smoke for a minute or three.
Then it would be fine all day. Start stop no problems.
Doesn’t show any codes according to the RV dealer. Had it back a few times because we had a 30 day garrentee.
Anyone else experience this ???

SlimTim
10-30-2018, 04:20 PM
Hello Romingrob,

I don't believe the Gulfstream Supernovas ever came with a Cummins engine. So unless somebody has retrofitted the Cummins or possibly another engine into your 08 Supernova you have a International VT365.

Per your description it sounds as if the glow-plugs are not working on your Supernova. It could be one or more of the glow-plugs themselves have failed, or it could be the glow-plug relay or solenoid has failed. I would check the relay first and then the solenoid. Your International service department or any good truck shop should be able to trouble shoot this quickly.

Good luck

bhplumber
11-04-2018, 02:16 PM
I agree with SlimTim. Mine did the same thing your explaining on the way home from the dealership I bought it from. I took it to a local shop and it was the glow plug relay. It's located in the back of the passenger side valve cover. You could visibly see it was burnt. Had I known what to look for I could have saved a few bucks and replaced it myself. Might be worth looking at. Good luck