PDA

View Full Version : Microwave / convection oven in my Super C

ccrquest
11-02-2018, 12:00 PM
I have a 2007 Gulfstream Super C that I have owned since it was new. I generally use a surge guard, but since I had the unit plugged into my own 50 amp outlet at my home I did not. When I was getting the rig ready for the next outing I realized there were several appliances not working. What concerns me most is the microwave convection oven. It’s an Amana model AMV6177AAB microwave / convection oven and it complete dead. I checked the breakers, and I tested the outlet where the microwave is plugged in and it is hot.
Any suggestions?

Restorium
11-02-2018, 12:23 PM
They say that appliances these days only last 10 years. They also say the death of most appliances starts with a power surge. You are over the line on both it seems. I think you need to go shopping.... microwaves are disposable.

Sudsy
11-04-2018, 11:56 AM
I have a 2007 Gulfstream Super C that I have owned since it was new. I generally use a surge guard, but since I had the unit plugged into my own 50 amp outlet at my home I did not. When I was getting the rig ready for the next outing I realized there were several appliances not working. What concerns me most is the microwave convection oven. It’s an Amana model AMV6177AAB microwave / convection oven and it complete dead. I checked the breakers, and I tested the outlet where the microwave is plugged in and it is hot.
Any suggestions?

If you have the ability I can lead you to a place for parts. My experience tells me its the main board. That sounds scary but it is not. It's the board with the display and the contacts (or buttons) for control. If the microwave was on when the surge happened then I would suspect the magnetron and control board but really the control board is not hard to change.

EDIT: Ran parts. No longer available. It was made by Whirlpool. So NEVERMIND

Sudsy

Broncbuster
11-05-2018, 08:58 AM
Mine Amana quit working in my GS 6331 Super C last month. I was running the generator and it was low on fuel. Generator shut down while microwave was running. After a refuel could not get the Microwave back on.It had a electrical type smell coming from it. No power, nothing. Ended up going to Lowes and buying a new Micro but opted out for the convection oven.

Have replaced main boards before and not too bad of a job but the cost sometimes is not worth it on a 10yr old appliance.

Sudsy
11-05-2018, 09:07 AM
Mine Amana quit working in my GS 6331 Super C last month. I was running the generator and it was low on fuel. Generator shut down while microwave was running. After a refuel could not get the Microwave back on.It had a electrical type smell coming from it. No power, nothing. Ended up going to Lowes and buying a new Micro but opted out for the convection oven.

Have replaced main boards before and not too bad of a job but the cost sometimes is not worth it on a 10yr old appliance.

I agree! That smell usually indicates the magnetron cooked. I agree that it's not worth it to fix a 10 yr old unit. I would have to have the convection oven or a gas oven (I don't have a gas oven) for cooking. I can't cook with a microwave, I can only reheat some things.

Sudsy

ccrquest
11-08-2018, 11:20 AM
It sounds like the space for these units are petty standard? Easy to find a new one that will fit?

ccrquest
11-08-2018, 11:23 AM
Thanks anyway.

MrT
11-11-2018, 01:20 PM
Any suggestions?
Because you started that numert appliances were not working It would seem to be a common problem but in addition I believe you’ll find that there is an internal fuse in the micro/ convection oven.

RayChez1
11-11-2018, 08:07 PM
Mr T is correct. There are fuses that will blow up before you burn any magnetron.

That would be the first thing I would check for if the circuit breaker did not kick off. I have a Dometic and I had to replace a fuse on it.

But being connected to a 50 amp source does not mean anything. My coach has to have 50 amp preferably if I want to run every appliance on the coach.

Sudsy
11-11-2018, 08:14 PM
These guys are correct. The fuse should have blown to protect the unit. You will see that the fuse is white and not clear glass. It is a special "Ceramic Fuse". I have seen them in the hardware section of ACE hardware and other independent hardware stores. Be sure to use the same value that came out and it MUST be a Ceramic Fuse.

Sudsy

I've been retired a while!!

Chuck v
11-12-2018, 03:17 PM
Fully agree with the concern for surges and appliance life...when I upgraded my transfer switch I used one with a surge protector built in. That way I never have to remember to use a separate external device or risk getting it stolen.

I used the Microwave in my 2007 Tour Master nearly every day as I was living in it until this last Saturday -- still worked as new. I just sold the coach and have moved to our house in Idaho now. It was great rig and the new owners are thrilled to have it.

Chuck

Henry111
02-16-2023, 02:15 AM
The caravan microwave oven and the ménage microwave oven aren't veritably different as both serve the same purpose of heating food snappily. Home broilers can toast up faster than RVs, but the ultimate can cook food more unevenly. caravan broilers are more compact, fit into limited caravan kitchen spaces, and use lower energy, but are slightly more precious with their further automated features and setup costs.