PDA

View Full Version : 12v converter

MrT
03-23-2019, 11:26 PM
I have a '94 Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser and when the converter comes on the 12v lights dim and when it is not operating the lights are bright and seem normal. Can anybody explain this to me?

Chuck v
03-24-2019, 09:19 AM
The converter should be on whenever the coach is connected to shore power and should not 'come on and off...' Perhaps you are talking about the INVERTER that makes AC power from the 12 volt batteries? On my coach the inverter batteries were separate from the house lighting batteries that were charged by the converter, but I am not familiar with your year/model of coach.

Chuck

THenne1713
03-24-2019, 01:21 PM
1) SERVICE BATTERY (WEAR SAFETY GLASSES/ GOGGLES) (water levels and terminal cleaning); 1a) If one cell was low/dry of water, but others OK, battery/cell is BAD and battery needs replaced; 2) IF you are running old Incandescent Bulbs in coach, convert and it will reduce power use by 90%; (EXTENDS BATTERY LIFE) 3) If you are running battery down too far (below 50%) When you first plug in, CONVERTER will/may try to dump 100% available power into battery CHARGING. (per manual, may even trip auto-reset and is OK) AFTER a period of time, battery charge should Improve, load on Converter Improve and Voltage Improve? Voltmeter can help monitor/ verify? 1) What is battery voltage before plugging in? After plugging in? After charging 1, 2, 4-hours?

THenne1713
03-24-2019, 01:30 PM
BATTERY VOLTAGE AS CHARGE INDICATOR: 1) Battery should be disconnected from charger and loads for at least 30-minutes before testing to remove false surface charge; (Turn Battery Switch OFF) 2) 12.6-12.7vdc= 95-100% charged; 12.2-12.3= 50-60%; 11.9= 0%

MrT
04-01-2019, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the advice, it's all well taken. When I wrote that I was in Mexico and the converter cycled like I described for the two weeks we were there. I do use a surge protector at the power panel and had the appropriate green lights. Tonight I'm back in the states have the same green lights and no cycling. Is it possible that they run on different cycles? I have swapped out most of the lighting to LEDs and additionally I'm going to add a battery watering system as they are almost impossible to check without pulling the out. Thanks again, enjoy your travels!!

Frutza
04-02-2019, 07:43 AM
Thats interesting, my hard wired surge guard will display the voltage and shut down for low or high voltage, I can't remember if it reacts to Hz? Check the specs for yours. I put one of volt meters that plug into the cig lighter, easy way to see battery voltage and a simple volt meter will read volts & Hz, also Leds are more voltage sensitive than incandescent