PDA

View Full Version : Question on Dometic ammonia fridge operation

Microguy
05-25-2019, 06:17 PM
We just got to a campsite, and it's hot out there, and it's taking forever for the fridge to cool down. Even the ice in the coolers is melting and dang it, my ice cream is going to me melted.

I would like to run this thing off an inverter going down the road. I know you have to be careful about the angle of the fridge so the ammonia can condense properly.

My question is, will it actually HARM the unit to run it for a few minutes when it's not level (like going up a hill)? The only problem *I* can see, is heating the chamber where there's no ammonia, because it's stuck in the condensing coils. I don't really see that as an issue, just one possibility if any.

But, does anybody know for sure if this will actually harm anything or not. I know it it will interrupt it's operation until we're level again, and that's fine. I just don't want to damage any thing.

(and nope, I didn't find any dry ice to use)

Leisure Time Larry
05-25-2019, 10:46 PM
It is fully expected and appropriate to operate your fridge while in transit either with propane or electric. The motion, the ups and the downs, balances everything out I guess as opposed to just parking it out of level.

Side note, I was recently on a trip, and I wasn't getting the cooling out of mine that I desired. I had previously ordered the Snip the Tip thermistor replacement, but I hadn't gotten around to installing it. I did on the trip, and I noticed an immediate improvement in cooling. Highly recommended for a cheap and easy thing to try if you aren't getting the cooling you are hoping for.

VaHappyCamper
06-02-2019, 12:26 PM
The answer to the first question is that yes, you can run the fridge going down the road. the movement of the trailer keeps the ammonia moving around so it's not the same as sitting still out of level.
A possible suggestion that worked on mine. You stated it was so hot that even what was in the coolers was melting. See if you have an exhaust fan in the refrigerator compartment. If not, install one (or have one installed). After the fan installation, mine works better than new.
Hope this helps.

Microguy
06-08-2019, 06:58 PM
Thanks, I will work with both of those suggestions. i thought about a small fan before, but just didnt get to it.
So much going on right now.

VaHappyCamper
06-08-2019, 08:58 PM
Microguy. I would suggest looking at the Dometic exhaust fans. They move a lot of air. Mine are not on a thermostat, so I put each one on a separate switch so I have the option of none, some or all. There is also a thermostatic exhaust fan (two fan set up), that will turn them on low at a set temp and increase decrease the speed as is needed. All of these fans are very low battery drains. If you have problem finding what you need, I'll be happy to go searching again. :)

rld63
06-10-2019, 04:14 PM
VaHappyCamper. I installed the dual exhaust fan at the top of the fridge heat vent and it made a huge impact. On a 105 degree day, my fridge quickly cooled down and stayed at normal temps. The fan's I bought are thermostat controlled but I am not relying on that, I am using the supplied switch and controlling manually.
I installed : Titan- dual fans model with controller

Roy.

VaHappyCamper
06-10-2019, 05:32 PM
rld63 - Roy. Fantastic and you saved me some looking. I'm not running a Class C, but my TT was giving me fits. I used the Dometic fans for their ability to move large volumes of air and I'm very satisfied also.

Emma
05-21-2020, 08:57 AM
One of the biggest telltale signs that your refrigerator may be on the fritz is if you get a whiff of ammonia, even if you did not use any kind of ammonia-based cleaner on it.

The reason for this is that most portable refrigerators, like those found in RVs, work using ammonia-based coolants instead of CFC or HFC. So when you smell ammonia from your fridge, there must be a leak in your coolant system. In such a case, you have to deal with it immediately to minimize the extent of the damage.
If you want to know more information about it, you can ask me I will give you. Thanks!

Emma
06-01-2020, 04:18 AM
I read it in here. You can refer more information.
https://vogeltalksrving.com/how-to-check-the-ammonia-level-in-rv-fridge/