PDA

View Full Version : Hey-lam, new 2020 bt cruiser 5210

BT5210
08-10-2019, 06:36 PM
JUST DROVE HOME FROM SO-CAL TO VEGAS...what a trip....

BT5210
08-10-2019, 06:39 PM
one thing I found strange about the gulfstream site, they do not post wheel base, GCWR, or fuel tank size...sseems no one knows the answers.... do they have 40 gal tanks???I did find out the hard way, I bought on line... the wheel base is only 138'':shock:

BT5210
08-10-2019, 06:41 PM
another thing, there is nothing posted in the coach for gross combined weight.... but it comes with a 7500lb hitch and brake controller..

BT5210
08-10-2019, 06:44 PM
also, there is not the norm. tire pressure wall sticker.... the only one is the cutaway from ford... tire pressure way wrong....

I drove to get it in my fiat 500 toad, and towed it back to vegas…. white knuckle 55mph max ride home...

BT5210
08-10-2019, 06:52 PM
wwhen I got home I was ready to take it back,... I bought it from beach cities rv ...they agreed to take it back,... some ting wong… great guy (Gavin) to deal with...so before heading out,... I checked the tire pressure...this is weird... 78 lbs in the front, and only 65psi in the rear....that can't be right????? so I lowered the pressure to 65 psi and headed out to get fuel....whole different coach...actually, very drive able.... so while gassing up, I decided.... I'm gonna keep it...the next ting I did.... I shortened the front springs... there where so long that the the front had about 1.5 positive camber...got that done....80 mph no habds on the wheel , trucks passing does nothing....so of to the truck stop to get weighed...only 3000 lbs on the front axel, 6880 on the rear...with a total of 9880 lbs...

BT5210
08-10-2019, 06:57 PM
so while driving,... found a new problem.... this coach has the frame less windows...it's ok on the pass, side as the awning shield the side of the window... but on the dr. side... once traveling above 50 mph.... the wind coming down the side blows the side seal open.... now you have 50 mph wind coming in the coach.... the glass is too long and tooo thin so it just bows out in the middle... pretty sure its gonna end up snapping the glass:eek:

BT5210
08-10-2019, 07:01 PM
I ordered new aluminum wheels and upped the tires to 215-85-16's,they're an inch taller, that'll get me another 1/2 ' bottom clearance in the rear..also, The shortened front springs
picked up about 1 1/2'' to the bottom of the hitch... the hitch drags everywhere in stock form:mad:

BT5210
08-11-2019, 08:19 AM
anyone else here have a 210???

CaryL
08-12-2019, 07:44 AM
Hi BT5210. We have a 2018 BT5245.

I assume you have downloaded the overall Motorhome Owner's manual from the Gulf Stream website. On page 11 there are labels for the tire pressures and weight info. Also on our BT pasted inside one of the upper kitchen cabinets by the walk-in door is a sticker with other techinical and appliance information. Yours maybe in a different location since your layout is different.

Note that the rear dual wheels should be inflated to a lower pressure than the single front wheels. The exact amount may be different by model, I don't know.

We cruise between 60 and 65 mpg. We are retired so we have the time, it gives better gas mileage, really is less stressful, and is safer for moving a 6-ton box down the road.

It sounds like you are much more mechanically knowledgable than we are and have already made many performance improvements. I look forward to hearing more as you continue.

We have been working on the inside to make it more convenent and add storage space in various areas.

Welcome to the user forum and best wishes!
Cary Lawson

BT5210
08-12-2019, 02:41 PM

I assume you have downloaded the overall Motorhome Owner's manual from the Gulf Stream website. On page 11 there are labels for the tire pressures and weight info. Also on our BT pasted inside one of the upper kitchen cabinets by the walk-in door is a sticker with other techinical and appliance information. Yours maybe in a different location since your layout is different.

Note that the rear dual wheels should be inflated to a lower pressure than the single front wheels. The exact amount may be different by model, I don't know.

We cruise between 60 and 65 mpg. We are retired so we have the time, it gives better gas mileage, really is less stressful, and is safer for moving a 6-ton box down the road.

It sounds like you are much more mechanically knowledgable than we are and have already made many performance improvements. I look forward to hearing more as you continue.

We have been working on the inside to make it more convenent and add storage space in various areas.

Cary Lawson

thanks for the reply, I usually drive about 62 mph as I tow the fiat 500,...but,... just to see after the shorter front springs I ran it up to 80...all the info on my coach is just the unloaded cutaway,, I took my coach out to get it weighted... only 3000 lbs front,.. 6880 rear, so 9880lbs total.. that was just me, 180lbs, and all tanks full...one of my problems was it would bounce the front wheels off the ground... and real loose on the front end...

BT5210
08-12-2019, 03:11 PM
here's with the front lowered

BT5210
08-13-2019, 06:13 AM

Cary Lawson

thanks again for posting...I had found the wallsticker in the cabinet above the sink..it's usually in the wardrobe, but when I read it I missed the GCWR,.. I pulled the sticker and put it on the wardrobe door inside....with better light... and reader glasses, I found the GCWR..it's 17,500..some one pulled the weight spec sticker off the hitch, pretty sure they are doing that at the factory as, I dougbt you can put much tongue weight on the 5210 with out the front wheels coming off the ground...just setting empty there is a huge amount of positive camber on the front wheels, with the split I beam that told me the front was way over sprung...and also confirmed the loose feeling steering...another find....sway bars....I ordered new ones from helwig...1 3/8'' front, and 1 1/2'' rear.. stock they are only 7/8'' front, and 1'' rear... I also ordered sumo solo 's...this will help with tongue weight to pull my boat ( 24' tri toon)...I've had very good results with sumo's...I went with the stiffest 54's for the rear...and softest 40's for the front..

BT5210
08-13-2019, 06:22 AM
here's a pic of the bt when I brought it home...look at the gap from top of tire , to the fender:eek:

BT5210
08-13-2019, 06:30 AM
as it is right now, I have a ton of variables to deal with,... all of which will work out in the end... but gonna take adjusting..might have to do some more height adjusting on the front springs,..but, I have to wait for the sumo's ...although sumo's won't up the GVWR,,,, It will allow more tongue weight …..being the wheel base is so short,..you have to be very careful with set up or you could end up in the ditch wheels up...all this could be corrected with a spring bar hitch, but, they don't work on boat trailers with surge brakes..

BT5210
08-13-2019, 06:41 AM
tire pressure's...
there is only one way to proper set tire pressures,..you can use the factory sticker, or the info on the side wall of the tire to get a base....you have to load the coach as you would normal,.. and go weight it...you have to have axel weights, front and back..easy to do at any truck stop...there are all kinds of tests to do,... chalk tests and such....but a trained eye works...most all truck tires have an inflation table... add about 10%/20% to weight to get proper inflation..over inflation will wear out the center of the tire, and under will break down the side walls, over heat tire, and wear out the outer edge..

if you are getting tire walk, make sure you run about 1000 miles...tires have to take a set when new..and some times require a little more air...

CaryL
08-13-2019, 08:38 AM
You have a nice coach. Thanks for the pointers on tires, leaf springs and sway bars. One nice thing about a shorter wheel base is it is easier to drive around and easier to find a level spot when you park for the night.

When you are settled on your refinements it would be especially helpful if you summarize what improvements where the best.
Cheers, Cary

BT5210
08-13-2019, 10:39 AM
You have a nice coach. Thanks for the pointers on tires, leaf springs and sway bars. One nice thing about a shorter wheel base is it is easier to drive around and easier to find a level spot when you park for the night.

When you are settled on your refinements it would be especially helpful if you summarize what improvements where the best.
Cheers, Cary

the major difference so far was the front springs...2'' shorter in the front made all the difference...might be able to just go to E250. or even E150 springs..the spring rate on the E350 is way too much... as weighed. the coach only weighs 3000 lbs on the front axel... have to do more research to be able to get the right part number...if you go to a smaller wire size,... the bigger sway bar would make them work..

BT5210
08-13-2019, 11:59 AM
another thing I ordered, https://www.supersprings.com/shop/ssa34/ the rear helper spring...adds 1900 lbs to spring load, and should raise the rear about 1.5'' these also reduce side sway, and add the needed tongue weight rating...

BT5210
08-19-2019, 07:33 AM
I got the tires and wheels on, went with 215-85-16s.... they are about an inch and a quarter taller.... they sure made it ride nice..

BT5210
08-19-2019, 12:40 PM
I hooked my pontoon to the rv...squatted the rear 1"

BT5210
08-19-2019, 12:44 PM
then headed out to the truck stop to get everything weighed

BT5210
08-19-2019, 12:46 PM
the ride out was great, little coach pulled the toon with ease...truck blow by was minimal , and required no driver adjustment...:cool:

BT5210
08-19-2019, 12:50 PM
on the scales, the bt came in under weight, total was only 16,460 lbs, trailer axel...6320lbs,... drive axel...7500lbs,....and steer axel 2640....so with out any more suspension mods it was great,... but I have helwig sway bars, super springs and sumo's to install..

BT5210
08-26-2019, 06:46 PM
got the super springs in, easy install , I put them at the lowest setting...raised the rear 2''...so a little more clearance pulling out of drive ways... :cool:

BT5210
08-28-2019, 07:29 PM
installed the helwig sway bars...night and day difference, I would say if you only did one thing...do the sway bars...:cool:

CaryL
08-29-2019, 06:10 AM
Thanks for all the updates. Did you get the Helwig front sway bar for the Ford F-53 Motorhome Chassis (1 3/4 diameter) ?

BT5210
08-29-2019, 07:21 AM
Thanks for all the updates. Did you get the Helwig front sway bar for the Ford F-53 Motorhome Chassis (1 3/4 diameter) ?

No, I got the one for the E350/450 chassis 1.5 inch, works great...:cool:

BT5210
08-30-2019, 08:14 AM
UPS says I'll get the new bilstien shocks today...these class c's have a harsh ride, I think it's the shocks... so I find out soon...:cool:

BT5210
09-09-2019, 05:19 PM
Doesn't seem to be much interest in this thread.... anyway.... got the new bilstien shocks on.... what a huge difference in the ride quality... smoothed the roads right out...the other thing I did was seal the window shut on the passenger side also.. the glass bows and cause's a huge wind leak, so now both sides on the front section are sealed shut...:cool:

BT5210
09-14-2019, 07:52 AM
So I've been doing research on the front spring problem... I got on fords web site and found spring specs...there are 7 different springs available for the e350 chassis... mine a 2020 but I looked up and found info for a 2019... should be the same....anyway... when doing springs the first think you need to know is how much it weighs....on mine... the front axel is at 3000 lbs , then when I put the boat on back it drops to 2640 lbs....to find out the spring rate, you have to have either the spring part number, or the wire size...in my case, the wire size is .79... that is a 2900 lb spring, so X2 =5800 lbs..... there's the problem...that's about a 3000 lb too stiff of a spring... also that spring is not a variable rate it's constant...now, here's how I select the right spring... not always spot on with the first try, but close...with the front weight of 3000lbs, I add 10%..so 3300 lb spring should be right.....moog has 4 different springs for the e series...the part# cc81372...is a 1250 lb spring.. so X2 it's at 2500lbs...too soft...the rates are as follows....cc81370 =1523 lbs,...cc81368.. 1708 lbs,...cc81366.....1893 lbs...So with my weight of 3000 lbs....I gonna start with the cc81368...that puts me at 3416lbs of spring rate....which is close to my 3300lb need,...they are variable rate springs so the ride quality will be a huge gain...with that choice if I find it too soft or too harsh....there is a spring to go either way...the springs cost 95 bucks shipped to my door..and super easy to install...fingers cross'd that they work on the first try...

BT5210
09-16-2019, 09:30 AM
MORE WWTT ( WHAT WERE THEY THINKING) !!!!!!

while under my coach, the exhaust was rattling every where... the added to the ford exhaust.... about 15' of tail pipe with 2 90's,,,,so I cut it off and re did it...about 10 ' shorter..

BT5210
09-17-2019, 06:24 AM
another WWTT!!!! not only is this total wrong in many ways,.....but also good way to make you sick...I found that the water tank fill was lower that the water tank...because of this, every time you take off, water goes all over the side of the rv, that and if you park on a hill the water siphons out of the tank...next ,... the water sits in the fill hose and gets mold....

BT5210
09-17-2019, 06:39 AM
So here's what happens.... the water tank is small to begin with, and where the fill neck is,... you can only fill 3/4 of the tank,... and while driving, you get to the camp site with half a tank of water,... the mold in the fill hose gets washed into the water take every time you fill it.... I personaly never drink the water out of RV's for this reason,.. we use bottled water for everything we injest...drinking this water will have you running like a wooden leg indian to the throne....:o

keep in mind this is a brand new coach...2020

BT5210
09-17-2019, 06:50 AM
I'll take more pics of the water tank fix when the sun comes up,..

but here's another "WWTT"... the sofa jack knife beds…...horrible..they built the beds with different foam on the seat backs.... so when you make it into a bed...half is hard foam, the other is soft...impossible to lay on... the foam needs to be the same so when laid flat it becomes a bed...as is now.... you have to try to stay on the firm part , which is about 24'' wide...:mad:

I don't know how I will attack this problem yet,... might have to go to an upholstery shop and have them try to match the foam.... or get new furniture that is useable as a bed...

Dora's explorers
09-17-2019, 05:37 PM
Bed issue sounds the same as our 2003 B+...looks just like yours but has a slide out dinette.

We lived with it on an 8 month trip to Alaska and for the last 4+ years of traveld ....survived but are hoping to do something different. Been using eggcrate padding in multiple layers...yuk.

Keep posting your updates.

BT5210
09-17-2019, 06:43 PM
So I've been doing research on the front spring problem... I got on fords web site and found spring specs...there are 7 different springs available for the e350 chassis... mine a 2020 but I looked up and found info for a 2019... should be the same....anyway... when doing springs the first think you need to know is how much it weighs....on mine... the front axel is at 3000 lbs , then when I put the boat on back it drops to 2640 lbs....to find out the spring rate, you have to have either the spring part number, or the wire size...in my case, the wire size is .79... that is a 2900 lb spring, so X2 =5800 lbs..... there's the problem...that's about a 3000 lb too stiff of a spring... also that spring is not a variable rate it's constant...now, here's how I select the right spring... not always spot on with the first try, but close...with the front weight of 3000lbs, I add 10%..so 3300 lb spring should be right.....moog has 4 different springs for the e series...the part# cc81372...is a 1250 lb spring.. so X2 it's at 2500lbs...too soft...the rates are as follows....cc81370 =1523 lbs,...cc81368.. 1708 lbs,...cc81366.....1893 lbs...So with my weight of 3000 lbs....I gonna start with the cc81368...that puts me at 3416lbs of spring rate....which is close to my 3300lb need,...they are variable rate springs so the ride quality will be a huge gain...with that choice if I find it too soft or too harsh....there is a spring to go either way...the springs cost 95 bucks shipped to my door..and super easy to install...fingers cross'd that they work on the first try...

OK, springs came in yesterday,... got them installed today....world of difference..nice smooth ride, stable and doesn't jar on every bump...might be just a tad too stiff, but I'm gonna run them and give them a chance to settle in...again, the one's I got were the MOOG CC81368

BT5210
09-17-2019, 07:00 PM
Got the water tank issue fixed.... now the water stays in the tank, and none on the side of the coach...

BT5210
09-17-2019, 07:12 PM
another WWTT.....the over head tv cabinet...these coach's are lacking storage...they built a cabinet for the tv, with 2 side cabinets.... real small, and the space behind is huge...but you can't get in there,.. the other thing was the rattles and wind noise..horrible,... when you hit a bump it sounded like a board was loose and banging on the roof,... that and the sound of metal banging around...so I took it apart and sound deadened the fiber glass, I'm making the tv on a cabinet door that swings up for storage... other wise there is no place for bedding and towels and such.... when I took it apart, didn't find the squirrel , but I found the nuts he left up there... 3 nyloc nuts laying on the metal roof...

BT5210
09-17-2019, 07:13 PM
Bed issue sounds the same as our 2003 B+...looks just like yours but has a slide out dinette.

We lived with it on an 8 month trip to Alaska and for the last 4+ years of traveld ....survived but are hoping to do something different. Been using eggcrate padding in multiple layers...yuk.

Keep posting your updates.

thanks for posting.... I had an 03.... way better quality then the 2020

Dora's explorers
09-22-2019, 08:02 AM
We took care of the water spilling and sloshing out with a cork on the vent and a really tight cap on the fill port . ..just have to remember to remove the cork periodically so there isn't a vacuum being created when using water....inconvenient but a way easier and less expensive fix.

Everyone we met with this rv has had the same water sloshing out complaint.....
Hey Gulfstream! Aren't you
listening?

BT5210
09-22-2019, 02:00 PM
another WWTT.....the over head tv cabinet...these coach's are lacking storage...they built a cabinet for the tv, with 2 side cabinets.... real small, and the space behind is huge...but you can't get in there,.. the other thing was the rattles and wind noise..horrible,... when you hit a bump it sounded like a board was loose and banging on the roof,... that and the sound of metal banging around...so I took it apart and sound deadened the fiber glass, I'm making the tv on a cabinet door that swings up for storage... other wise there is no place for bedding and towels and such.... when I took it apart, didn't find the squirrel , but I found the nuts he left up there... 3 nyloc nuts laying on the metal roof...

got this done....and upped the tv size to 43'',... there is now huge storage for pillows and such

CaryL
09-23-2019, 06:13 AM
I love this idea! We have a power outlet in the cabinet for the TV. Did you re-mount that somewhere? Also what hinge setup did you use for the TV?

BT5210
09-23-2019, 07:16 AM
I love this idea! We have a power outlet in the cabinet for the TV. Did you re-mount that somewhere? Also what hinge setup did you use for the TV?

there's lots and lots of storage up there....I did a face mount cabinet door with a piano hinge on top...I got rid of the componite red, yellow , white and added hdmi and a DVD player...I moved the power and intenna out lets to the side and re mounted them...I put 3 slam latches on the bottom of the door..

I made the door., 24 x 37'' out of 1/2'' maple and painted it satin black,... the new tv covers it all...we had the rca tv, with it turned up all the way, it wasn't loud enough... the way they frenched the tv in , you need a sound bar to hear it....with the tcl in the new location, half volume is enough

Roan444
11-12-2019, 07:54 AM
Great thread BT!

Thanks for all your upgrade updates... The suspension research will come in very handy!

bbaluski
11-16-2019, 10:49 AM
Looks great. Is it pre-wired for solar?

Netbob30
08-30-2020, 04:15 PM
Doesn't seem to be much interest in this thread.... anyway.... got the new bilstien shocks on.... what a huge difference in the ride quality... smoothed the roads right out...the other thing I did was seal the window shut on the passenger side also.. the glass bows and cause's a huge wind leak, so now both sides on the front section are sealed shut...:cool:
I have the same problem. What did you use to seal them with?

jgrinder
09-04-2020, 05:09 PM
newby question: I considering ordering a 5210 with the twin jackknife sofas. I have been told that these sofas are only 68 inches long. Does anyone know the GS offers a longer sofa or do these sofas fold out to make a queen bed and you can sleep crossways since the rv is 8 feet wide? I am 72 inches tall is the main issue. Any insight in this issue would be appreciated. thanks John

Kat
09-11-2020, 12:32 AM
Do yiu think one could conert overcab area to a bunk?

CaryL
11-10-2020, 06:06 AM
I just opened behind my TV and yes found there is a great amount of space back there.
For a winter project I will finish it out as well.

Questions:
My concern is insulating against noise and heat after the fiberglass is out.

What insulation did you put in there? I see it is silver.
Any insulation recommendations after now using it?

Does the Tv protrude too much into the living space?

dpitchai
11-12-2020, 08:52 AM

I am thinking to do the same. Can we remove the frames too, and make it as a bunk for a child or optional storage? And how much did it cost you to modify this?

hossross
11-13-2020, 09:39 PM
Wow, the front really did look unloaded. Hard to believe Gulf Stream would even release a vehicle trimmed like that. Springs have 2 parameters spring rate and loaded spring height. If you put a "lighter spring in" it is the spring rate. You can keep the same spring rate and get a shorter loaded spring height and also lower the front since you went with the lower rate, you needed to get some of the roll rate back by increasing the roll bar diameter. If it feels like the vehicle going to roll over when cornering or making a quick maneuver, then you need to increase the coil spring rate but low load height. I would always keep the gas tank over half full and as little water as possible in the tanks. including don't fill fresh water tank until near destination.

GVWR won't matter on your set up, your totally controlled by Rear Axle gross weight rating. Also the PSI on the side wall of a tire is the max pressure that tire is rated for. Don't use that, the vehicle sticker is the correct one, and that is required by federal law to be afixed to the body usually on door frame. Mine has that fed sticker and then an updated sticker model 5250 I think the rears are 80 psi and the front 65

hossross
11-13-2020, 09:53 PM
Wow, the front really did look unloaded. Hard to believe Gulf Stream would even release a vehicle trimmed like that. Springs have 2 parameters spring rate and loaded spring height. If you put a "lighter spring in" it is the spring rate. You can keep the same spring rate and get a shorter loaded spring height and also lower the front since you went with the lower rate, you needed to get some of the roll rate back by increasing the roll bar diameter like you mentioned. If it feels like the vehicle going to roll over when cornering or making a quick maneuver, then you need to increase the coil spring rate but low load height spring as the springs control the roll rate more than a roll bar. I would always keep the gas tank over half full and as little water as possible in the tanks. including don't fill fresh water tank until near destination. The objective is to get the weight forward of the rear axle and minimize rearward of the axle. You have almost no control over the front weight other than add a heavy passenger.

GVWR won't matter on your set up, your totally controlled by Rear Axle gross weight rating. Also the PSI on the side wall of a tire is the max pressure that tire is rated for. Don't use that, the vehicle sticker is the correct one, and that is required by federal law to be afixed to the body usually on door frame. Mine has that fed sticker and then an updated sticker model 5250 I think the rears are 80 psi and the front 65

dpitchai
05-10-2021, 07:46 AM
so while driving,... found a new problem.... this coach has the frame less windows...it's ok on the pass, side as the awning shield the side of the window... but on the dr. side... once traveling above 50 mph.... the wind coming down the side blows the side seal open.... now you have 50 mph wind coming in the coach.... the glass is too long and tooo thin so it just bows out in the middle... pretty sure its gonna end up snapping the glass:eek:

I am having the same problem in my 2021 BT. The noise and the wind from it is unbearable for the passengers on Couch. How to fix this?

I actually order BT 2021 with framed windows so that I don't have to deal with this problem, but they delivered me with frameless windows, looks good but paint to ear.

Riley Sumbawa
05-22-2021, 11:46 PM
JUST DROVE HOME FROM SO-CAL TO VEGAS...what a trip....
Hey guys, wondering if anyone took a 5210 and converted it to a 4x4 using a reputable conversion company? Not interested in the Best Deal, I don't mind paying for good quality, have a couple others I'm looking at besides Quigley (not saying they are not good, just researching)...The 5210 is short which is what I've been looking for...Gulfstream would not be my 1st choice, I prefer NEXUS but they don't have any floor plans I like...Like the no slide, small unit, Ford E Series pretty much good enough...Hate the Brown paint jobs (possible to get white or anything but their brown? hard to find info here)...I live in Indonesia, want the coach to use for snowboarding w/ my kid...Any 4 seasons upgrades anyone can suggest? Thanks

MV213
07-11-2021, 01:44 PM
@BT5210 thanks for sharing this info. Very informative thread. Just purchased a 2021 5210 last week. Will be making some mods at some point after using it a bit to get a feel for it.

retirednow
08-18-2021, 09:46 AM
HI BT5210,

We have followed your posting about your upgrading your suspension on your BT 5210 with great interest.
Unfortunately we are having the same problems with our 2021 BT 5210 Gulf Stream Motor home. I called 2 ford dealers and they could only give me part # for the springs that are on the Ford 350 which is 9C2Z5310V. They could not give me the # rating on the springs Looked on Ford website under the 2021 E350 and found only my spring number not LB rating or other springs that I could use. Any help on where you found springs & rating would be very helpful. So far we have installed Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer, Roadmaster Rear Anti Sway Bar & overload rear Springs that raised the rear 2 and 1/2 inches and have had the front end aligned. We are trying to tow a Jeep Wrangler with all four wheels on the ground so there really couldn't be any towing weight to change front weight. Ours also weighted in at 2,940 on front axle with full tank of gas and unloaded and just me in it. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Also with the rear overload spring it did lower the front almost 1/2 inch.
thank you. Robert

oldwrench
10-21-2021, 07:22 PM
Major change, install narrow twin beds, can be done

msdickerson
12-17-2021, 08:33 AM
We just ordered a new 5210 BT Cruiser, and I cannot find info on the leveling jacks that come with it. Can you point me to the right place to see how these jacks operate? Thanks!

Darugs
01-03-2022, 08:48 PM
I have a 2021 5230. I didn’t get a jack manual, but found this one.

http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Lippert-Electronic-Slash-Hydraulic-Leveling-Slideout-Owners-Manual.pdf

Very easy to work, just remember to have your emergency brake on and the ignition off (all of my other RVs worked with ignition on).

msdickerson
01-04-2022, 05:36 AM
I have a 2021 5230. I didn’t get a jack manual, but found this one.

http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Lippert-Electronic-Slash-Hydraulic-Leveling-Slideout-Owners-Manual.pdf

Very easy to work, just remember to have your emergency brake on and the ignition off (all of my other RVs worked with ignition on).

Thanks a bunch! We are still waiting for our new 5210, but are quite excited about it....

Seadog63
01-08-2022, 04:11 PM
Your coach is nice but with all the upgrade costs and time wouldn’t it have been advantageous to have bought a little bit bigger coach with all the towing capabilities your shooting for?

Darugs
01-08-2022, 05:19 PM
I can’t speak for the OP, but I went from a 38’ gas Class A to a 24 foot BT 5230 and I love the size more than I miss all of the storage/space. With essentially unlimited storage of the larger coach you end up with a lot more than what you need. I love the ease of traveling with the smaller MH. And not sure of what you mean about the towing shortcoming - I can pull more weight with less effort than I could with my last MH.

dvmkathymurf
07-12-2023, 08:15 AM
Nice thanks for picture

Just two
10-24-2023, 06:12 PM
Anyone looking at this post anymore. We bought a 2021 BT 2510. We are redoing several thing. Added lithium batteries 220 amp hour set to start. Looking at adding solar and an hybrid inverter. I just tore out the tv section over the cab. I plan on adding rattle stop to the fiberglass overcab then installing rock wool and foam. They call them pizza ovens and that is how hot it gets in the sun. We removed the 2 sections of the couch and replaced the foam. Nice to have each section at the same height. Also I added Ride Rite air bags over the axle on the rear. This seems to help with the bottoming out on bumps. Let me know if you would like some pictures?

Just two
10-24-2023, 06:25 PM
Also WWTT the winterizing hose and valve to add antifreeze are located under the couch. (Driver side). It is hanging out near the water pump.

There are 2 gapping holes, one on each side near the floor between the cab and shell. I had the fan running doors and windows closed and the air flow from these holes was tremendous.

MV213
10-24-2023, 07:10 PM
I’m subscribed to this thread. I have a 2021 5210 myself. Love the way it drives, need to do something to make the jackknife sofa better for sleeping.

So yes please post pics of all your mods if you don’t mind!

dvmkathymurf
10-25-2023, 11:07 AM
YES on the pictures please!!!

dvmkathymurf
10-25-2023, 11:08 AM
For JackKnife: I put 3" foam on lower section and 1" foam topper on top of it all and sleeps great! Also use 2 foldable step stools to prevent outer section from dropping down so you don't feel like falling out of bed.

Just two
10-27-2023, 04:54 PM
New to this posting thing not sure if the picture of the front over cab rattle stop pic will load.

Just two
10-27-2023, 05:03 PM
Ok that first photo worked. Here is under the jack knife bed. We removed the plywood and found the valve and hose to add antifreeze. Also found the top of the metal wheel wells exploded.WWTT? A little insulation would have been nice. Any way, we have more sound proofing insulation on order. Testing a different kind of foam then what we used over the cab.

Just two
10-27-2023, 05:08 PM
Also viewed the post about the filler pipe issues. We will address them shortly. We replaced the foam in the couch/bed. By removing the top and bottom (missing in the pictures) 4 1/2” nut each easy stuff. Unzipped the top and cut 6” foam to fit. Had to un-staple the bottom to replace its foam 6” there also. Nice sitting haven’t slept on it except a quick nap. Nice!

Just two
10-27-2023, 05:16 PM
This is a picture of what the overhead looks like before we re insulated. The fiberglass insulation they used had fallen everywhere. Not much sound proofing or insulation value. We sometimes camp in cold areas so this upgrade will be a good investment. After I rebuild the entertainment cabinet I plan on filling the voids with rock wool and foam.

Any thought on that?

Just two
10-27-2023, 05:33 PM
We also added 2 Max Fans one new one to the front. It has a wireless remote and reverse. We were going to move the Max Fan we removed up front to the back bath spot but we decided to break down and get another new one for there. The original one has a rain sensor that I don’t trust. These newer Max Fans have the built in covers so they can be used in the rain. They are much much quieter than Fantastic fans. Well worth the price difference.

Just two
10-27-2023, 05:40 PM
George (Humble Road) posted a video that if you run Max Fans with lithium batteries that you should add a 12 volt voltage regulator to keep from frying the control board. I bought some for less ten $10 on Amazon. Part # 200494-FBA X002E42Q0D. Seems much cheaper then a $100 control board.

Just two
10-27-2023, 06:01 PM
This is a shot of the fiberglass cap and all the wasted storage space. Plan to build it out for storage.

Also there is a shot from underneath showing a big hole that Gulf Stream forgot to fill. Now we know how the mice are getting in. There is a hole just behind both seats on the inward portion where the fiberglass wall and the metal meet. I might use the hole to run wires before I fill it. It may be a blessing.

Just two
10-27-2023, 06:08 PM
Added rear air shocks with added 2” spacers. Raised the rear a bit. Bought a compressor and two position controller. Hope to get a little adjustment between the sides at un level sites. Will let you know.

Just two
10-29-2023, 06:33 PM
Started the framing for the over the cab storage. Added a couple of 2x4 non pressure treated and some cedar planking. I anchored the metal of the cab ceilings to these along with using the 1/2” bolts that tie the fiberglass to the metal. Great solid feel unlike the original floating cabinet. I should have ran the new wiring for the rear view mirror camera system first. Now I have to snake it around the new framing. I ran the wire from the cab down the top driver side cabinets behind the microwave and past the shower sky light. Ended at the bath fan which is very close to being the center of the camper. I drilled a hole below the top over hang on the back. This should work well as it will protect the camera from rain, snow and some sun light. The camper came with a nice backup camera with side cameras for lane changes. I wanted something to see what’s going on behind us as we travel down the road.

Just two
11-08-2023, 05:33 PM
The old absorption refrigerator running too long to get things cold. Have a new 12 volt 8 cubic foot one ordered. Looking at adding some solar to keep the new one running. In our B van we had a chest ICECO that worked fine on 200 amp hour lithium with 200 watts of solar. Never had to worry about keeping it running. We are hoping to have the same thing with the new frig.

MuleGal
02-14-2024, 05:57 PM
anyone else here have a 210???

Hey, thanks for sharing so much great info!!!! I have a ‘new’ 2023 5210…. I’ve considered trading it in LOL, because of clearance issues (towing a 2h BP horse trialed). Rear end drag with no tow vehicle is still a challenge.

Reading on!
Thanks again!!!!

MV213
02-25-2024, 12:44 PM
Thanks for these pics, I need to tear into that myself, and this helps!!!

Just two
03-05-2024, 07:30 PM
Working on the 5210s bath. It’s been an adventure. Replacing the Pex to PexA adding cold and hot water headers. Figured on locating the hot header under the bath vanity and the cold by the water tank pump.

Thoughts.

MV213
03-05-2024, 10:42 PM
Will be interested to see what you end up with! Looks like fun!

R1100S
03-11-2024, 08:20 PM
Hi,
Surfed in as looking to purchase a 2021 5210 and want to pull ATV, too. This thread is a gold mine of information!
Wanted to ask, what are your typically mpg’s AND knowing all issues would you buy your coach again.

Thank you

MV213
03-12-2024, 11:16 AM
Hi,
Surfed in as looking to purchase a 2021 5210 and want to pull ATV, too. This thread is a gold mine of information!
Wanted to ask, what are your typically mpg’s AND knowing all issues would you buy your coach again.

Thank you

Well this isn’t my thread but for what it’s worth I’m averaging 11.0 MPG with the fabulous 7.3L gas Godzilla engine. I haven’t done any towing but I feel like it would have plenty of power to tow a car or Jeep.

Just two
03-12-2024, 07:33 PM
Too much power with the 7.3 liter engine in our 2021 5210. We get 11 mpg. These rigs have a large problem with the exit angle. The rear squats so I’m not sure that it would handle much tongue weight. I added air bags and a compressor and at around 88psi I get 2” of lift. Earlier in this post there was talk about softer front springs so I bought some to give that a try. The front sits high so if I lower that my hope is that it will raise the back?

Just two
03-12-2024, 07:48 PM
Found a good spot for the hot water header manifold, back by the water heater. I can reach the valves from the bathroom vanity or by removing the dresser drawers. The manifold has 6 - 1/2”valved ports and 2 - 3/4 ends that I capped. Works out, there are 4 lines to supply hot to sinks, and showers. 1 line from HW heater and then I added a drain. Also started some carpentry, not my strong suit but I’m learning. Notice the wife picked a porcelain sink, I think it’s too heavy but I’m not starting that conversation. Ha!

MV213
03-12-2024, 08:40 PM
Found a good spot for the hot water header manifold, back by the water heater. I can reach the valves from the bathroom vanity or by removing the dresser drawers. The manifold has 6 - 1/2”valved ports and 2 - 3/4 ends that I capped. Works out, there are 4 lines to supply hot to sinks, and showers. 1 line from HW heater and then I added a drain. Also started some carpentry, not my strong suit but I’m learning. Notice the wife picked a porcelain sink, I think it’s too heavy but I’m not starting that conversation. Ha!

Looking great so far! What brand and model sink is that?

MV213
03-12-2024, 08:42 PM
Too much power with the 7.3 liter engine in our 2021 5210. We get 11 mpg. These rigs have a large problem with the exit angle. The rear squats so I’m not sure that it would handle much tongue weight. I added air bags and a compressor and at around 88psi I get 2” of lift. Earlier in this post there was talk about softer front springs so I bought some to give that a try. The front sits high so if I lower that my hope is that it will raise the back?

Yes, there’s a post or two where somebody else has gone through this exercise. I have firestone airbags in the back. I may get a set of lift blocks which I think would be the simplest solution.

Just two
03-13-2024, 05:33 PM
Looking great so far! What brand and model sink is that?

Bought it from Amazon. Thought of sending it back several times. Too heavy, now too late to send back. We have a corner mirror to match. Need to install the simulated tile before installing the mirror. Save some tile sheet trimming.

If you want I can post pictures?

Today I plan on installing a soft start on the AC. I want to check the amps before then after.

Just two
03-16-2024, 06:06 AM
Bought it from Amazon. Thought of sending it back several times. Too heavy, now too late to send back. We have a corner mirror to match. Need to install the simulated tile before installing the mirror. Save some tile sheet trimming.

Today I plan on installing a soft start on the AC. I want to check the amps before then after.

Installed the soft start. It wasn’t as easy as I thought. The device’s only instruction is a schematic on the cover. You get what you pay for. The BT5210 has a low profile Dometic and its schematic is on the control cover. I checked several other brand soft starts and they come with different number of wires with different color codes. No standards. Looks like the the instructions on the more expensive SS are better.

Well the outcome is that it works and the starting amps is much lower.

Before the install startup 13 amps, after install 9+ amps. The running amps may be slightly less after the install, but not by much. Full disclosure it was warmer when I took the before readings. My wife said she notice it runs quieter, I didn’t notice that. I do have the cover and filter off, still missing a ceiling.

MV213
03-16-2024, 09:31 AM

Thank you! I will be watching this to see what you end up with. I love this thread.

Just two
03-16-2024, 07:13 PM
Working on the tile in the bathroom. Ran out, she thought she ordered enough had to order 16 more. 4 in a pack so 4 more packs. It’s a trick to get it up where it looks right. it looks right. What fun.

Was cold this morning so used the dash heater to make it comfortable to work. Then it got hot this afternoon thought about using the AC, but turned both Max fans on, opened a window and that worked well.

Thinking of installing a diesel heater so when we are boon docking we can save the propane. We have one in our camper van and love it. I have a package one I used in a shop that can be repurposed.

Thoughts?

MV213
03-16-2024, 08:45 PM
Working on the tile in the bathroom. Ran out, she thought she ordered enough had to order 16 more. 4 in a pack so 4 more packs. It’s a trick to get it up where it looks right. it looks right. What fun.

Was cold this morning so used the dash heater to make it comfortable to work. Then it got hot this afternoon thought about using the AC, but turned both Max fans on, opened a window and that worked well.

Thinking of installing a diesel heater so when we are boon docking we can save the propane. We have one in our camper van and love it. I have a package one I used in a shop that can be repurposed.

Thoughts?

It’s worth thinking about. I am not that familiar with the little diesel heaters but am interested. The biggest issues I see are where to install it, and fuel storage.

Just two
03-29-2024, 07:57 PM
I have a plan to use the plumbing pass thru behind the driver side wheel well. It was used for the water drains and the black tank flush hose. Since I replaced the plumbing it is just a 2” hole. That hole is in the floor and is in a good position because I plan on adding a storage area. The area will be the space behind that wheel well before the tank dump door. I bought a 16” x 24” door for this area. I got a good start on the cold water header today mounted it to the outside wall using an insulated block.

MV213
03-29-2024, 10:07 PM
I have a plan to use the plumbing pass thru behind the driver side wheel well. It was used for the water drains and the black tank flush hose. Since I replaced the plumbing it is just a 2” hole. That hole is in the floor and is in a good position because I plan on adding a storage area. The area will be the space behind that wheel well before the tank dump door. I bought a 16” x 24” door for this area. I got a good start on the cold water header today mounted it to the outside wall using an insulated block.

I will be following this to see how it works out. Everything you’ve done so far looks great!

Just two
03-30-2024, 01:54 PM
Tile done. Pro tip- use latex tile sealer on the walls before installing tile. 2 coats are better then one.

Just two
03-30-2024, 02:00 PM
Checking the best location to install this 16 x 24 hatch.

MV213
03-30-2024, 06:25 PM
Tile and sink look great!

Just two
03-30-2024, 07:36 PM
Relocating the power distribution center to a more logical location for our new floor plan. We are not reinstalling the stove/oven. We got a combination gas induction stove top. So I get to shorten the DC and AC wires going to the power panel. Its new location is where the oven was. Then a drawer goes above that and the microwave above the drawer.
Good time to clean up the wiring. Fixing some issues that may have been future problems. Also it’s a good time to draw up an as built document.

Just two
04-07-2024, 12:02 PM
Nice weather finally. Took advantage and cut the storage area hole. Tested the stand alone diesel heater. It isn’t going to work. It did heat nicely on a cold morning but the package isn’t practical. I ordered a diesel heater kit with the tank and pump separate. Got the metal to build the new storage box and some extra metal for making the existing storage bigger. Should work out nicely.

Just two
04-07-2024, 12:05 PM
Another test of the 3000 watt inverter. We grilled salmon on the Ninja grill (not sponsored). Worked great and pretty tasty.

MV213
04-07-2024, 12:11 PM
Interesting! Are you still going to put a heater there? I’ve been dithering about finding a good spot to store the sewage hose…something like this could work.

Just two
04-07-2024, 01:38 PM
The plan is to use this compartment to store some longer table, chairs, waste hose and stuff over the gas tank. In the front the diesel heater, Ninja and maybe a water filter. The hatch is 16” high x 24” wide. I got the hole cut next adding wood around the opening. We are looking at matching the paint color which is a brownish. The door is currently white.

Just two
04-07-2024, 01:49 PM
A cardboard markup of the kitchen cabinets. Got the idea from YouTube George. Looks like we will come out 26” in the stove area and 36” at the sink. Similar to the original layout. The microwave is under the stove top. So the upper cabinets are free for storage. The upper long cabinet above the window is 15 x 15 inches 6+ foot long.

Just two
04-07-2024, 01:57 PM
Looking for ideas on countertops?

Anyone replace theirs?

Just two
04-09-2024, 06:19 PM
I started working on increasing the storage areas below the floor. I got some good metal and measured it out to make a pass thru compartment from the entrance step to the access I added behind the driver rear tires. Having trouble bending the metal. I tried clamping 2 x 6s and forcing a bend , not happening. So I built a metal break and the first attempt is a no go. I’m thinking about making it in shorter sections and having more connections. The metal break almost worked but I was attempting a 5’ bend.

I’m surprised at how much additional storage is available under the floor.

Just two
04-15-2024, 07:39 PM
Taking a break from the break. Started the alternator upgrade. I installed the 400 amp alternator and ran some extra wires to handle the power. Changed the positive engine battery terminal and added a heavy duty power strip. Ran the wires to supply the 2 - 24 volt Battery to Battery chargers. Plan on mounting them in front of the big battery bank. Ordered a 12 volt B2B for the house batteries.

Just two
04-24-2024, 07:28 PM
Back on building the storage bin. One opening is at the top step the other is between the driver side rear wheels and the grey and black tanks. I shorten the homemade metal break and it works much better. We are hoping to store a Ninja smoker in the bigger storage area. And store longer items in the stair area.

Just two
04-25-2024, 05:59 PM
Now we have a lot of extra garage storage. Need to install a 110 ac gfci outlet and a 12 volt light. We got the paint code from GS for the lower stripe. Looking for a good paint shop or I may get it mixed and spray it myself.

Last picture is the shorten break.

MV213
04-25-2024, 08:08 PM
You are doing some cool things! Really enjoying this thread.

dvmkathymurf
04-25-2024, 09:19 PM
Great thred!!!