PDA

View Full Version : Converter for 2007 BT Cruiser model 5291B

purduepete12
08-12-2019, 11:39 AM
Can anyone tell me the location of the converter in my 2007 BT Cruiser model 5291B?

BT5210
08-12-2019, 03:14 PM
Can anyone tell me the location of the converter in my 2007 BT Cruiser model 5291B?

it's the box with the power breakers...are you having a problem with it???

purduepete12
08-12-2019, 05:21 PM
I have taken the box with the breakers out, but all I see are electrical connections for the 110 and 12 volt wires. I would expect to see some type of transformer coil that would convert the AC to DC. The is a 110 plug in the back of breaker panel and I suspect it goes to power the converter somewhere.
My problem is that my bedroom slide is out and There not enough 12 DC power to drive any of the slide motors. I've also tried running the engine but it won't drive the slide motors either. There's only a little 12 volt power coming off the coach batteries to run the interior DC lights. The 110 plugs all have power to them.
I've checked the three 30 amp breakers in the distribution panel and reset them. There's either another breaker keeping the power from going through the system or the converter is bad. The vehicle battery is brand new putting out 12.7 volts and the two 6 volt batteries (in series) are measuring about 12.6 volts, but the are old. Could these batteries be the source of the problem? I don't understand why being hooked to shore power with 110 AC coming off the breaker, but only 11.6 volts DC coming off the fuses.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

BT5210
08-12-2019, 06:59 PM
I have taken the box with the breakers out, but all I see are electrical connections for the 110 and 12 volt wires. I would expect to see some type of transformer coil that would convert the AC to DC. The is a 110 plug in the back of breaker panel and I suspect it goes to power the converter somewhere.
My problem is that my bedroom slide is out and There not enough 12 DC power to drive any of the slide motors. I've also tried running the engine but it won't drive the slide motors either. There's only a little 12 volt power coming off the coach batteries to run the interior DC lights. The 110 plugs all have power to them.
I've checked the three 30 amp breakers in the distribution panel and reset them. There's either another breaker keeping the power from going through the system or the converter is bad. The vehicle battery is brand new putting out 12.7 volts and the two 6 volt batteries (in series) are measuring about 12.6 volts, but the are old. Could these batteries be the source of the problem? I don't understand why being hooked to shore power with 110 AC coming off the breaker, but only 11.6 volts DC coming off the fuses.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

there's a multitude of what ifs,... first thing I would check is the grounds...next,.. it could be the latching solenoid is bad..if the engine starts, while it's running you should have 13.5 volts to the coach batterys… when you start the engine, you should hear a clunk sound some where behind the driver seat..same as when you plug to shore power.... with it plugged in,..you should hear the fan on the converter...and also the same clunk when you plug into shore...if the ground going to the batterys from the converter is bad.... it won't charge...can you take a pic of the breaker box???.

Restorium
08-13-2019, 05:20 AM
Some background would help.
Was everything working before?
How and when did it quit working?
We need some clues to help you.

BT5210
08-13-2019, 05:55 AM
Some background would help.
Was everything working before?
How and when did it quit working?
We need some clues to help you.

I'm new here, but not new to RV's owned RV for over 50 years,...you have some good posts, nice to know someone here has knowledge in rv repair...I'll be calling on you if I get stumped....thanks for taking time to post...:cool:

right now I own 3 rv's, a2008 Lexington, 2019 thor 29m, and the newest to my fleet, a 2020 bt5210...I got the 2020 5210 to tow our boat, and as a people hauler....I like the small size... my wife calls it a cramper...:rolleyes:

Restorium
08-13-2019, 07:20 AM
I'm new here, but not new to RV's owned RV for over 50 years,...you have some good posts, nice to know someone here has knowledge in rv repair...I'll be calling on you if I get stumped....thanks for taking time to post...:cool:

right now I own 3 rv's, a2008 Lexington, 2019 thor 29m, and the newest to my fleet, a 2020 bt5210...I got the 2020 5210 to tow our boat, and as a people hauler....I like the small size... my wife calls it a cramper...:rolleyes:
Nice fleet!
If I ever can help it will make my day.

purduepete12
08-13-2019, 07:23 AM
When I went to the storage lot battery was dead as I had left the parking lights on when I put it in storage. Jumped the battery and brought the RV home from the storage lot. Engaged parking brake, plugged in shore power put out bedroom slide to access the drawers, turned on fridge and everything was okay. Next morning wife said fridge was making clicking noise and clicking noise coming from step motor. Connector to step motor showed heat wear and seemed to be shorting inside. Unplugged shore power and battery terminal, spliced wires to step motor directly. Vehicle battery only showing 11.6 volts so I replaced it with a new one. Every time I hit the slide out switch it drains the coach batteries. Tried with engine running and same thing. Reset three 30 amp breakers in distribution panel, no help. Running fridge on propane.
Manual says there is a 50 amp breaker behind drivers seat, but I can't find anything there. I have 110 volt AC to the breaker panel and AC plugs work. Have 11.7 volts DC at the breaker box which is the same as the coach battery reading. It appears that the converter in not working , but I don't know where it is located. I expect that it is under the kitchen sink, but I can't access it as the dining room slide is in and it blocks the sink cabinet access.

purduepete12
08-13-2019, 07:24 AM
Where is this latching solenoid located?

BT5210
08-13-2019, 08:41 AM
Where is this latching solenoid located?

first ting I would do is put a full charge on the coach batterys…...next, I would confirm that all grounds are good... big problem with RV's...they ground to frame where ever is closest, and never clean the area first, just run a tek screw in and call it good...

the latching solenoid is some times on the fire wall under the hood, but most of the time behind driver seat and compartment or under the coach...if conections aren't good converter won't know to charge the battery...

if you have a breaker panel with 12v fues… that's the converter....like 99.9% positive...its part of it...

Restorium
08-13-2019, 08:41 AM
Let's start by getting the fridge running on shore power.
Seems like a breaker is tripped.
On my coach it would be one of the breakers in the main panel or one of the ground fault plugs are tripped. You reset the ground fault plugs by depressing the tiny circuit reset switch in the center of the plug receptacle. If you are positive ALL of your 110 plugs are working then it's not a ground fault reset. It's most likely a main breaker.

Restorium
08-13-2019, 08:43 AM
if you have a breaker panel with 12v fues… that's the converter....like 99.9% positive...its part of it...
I have many panels with 12v fuses and none of them are the convertor. Even the main breaker panel has 12v fuses and the convertor is elsewhere, in the basement compartment with the batteries. It has it's own 12 v fuses.

BT5210
08-13-2019, 08:45 AM
look at the breaker panel and find out what brand it is....

Restorium
08-13-2019, 08:50 AM
look at the breaker panel and find out what brand it is....

That one there looks like the one that was in my CruiseMaster. Our Gulfstream has the convertor separate.
All of these coaches are different.

Restorium
08-13-2019, 08:51 AM
I think that in this situation it would be the best to get all the 110 stuff working then see what's up with the 12v stuff.

BT5210
08-13-2019, 09:09 AM
does your rv look like this one?

Restorium
08-13-2019, 09:23 AM
When I went to the storage lot battery was dead as I had left the parking lights on when I put it in storage. Jumped the battery and brought the RV home from the storage lot. Engaged parking brake, plugged in shore power put out bedroom slide to access the drawers, turned on fridge and everything was okay. Next morning wife said fridge was making clicking noise and clicking noise coming from step motor. Connector to step motor showed heat wear and seemed to be shorting inside. Unplugged shore power and battery terminal, spliced wires to step motor directly. Vehicle battery only showing 11.6 volts so I replaced it with a new one. Every time I hit the slide out switch it drains the coach batteries. Tried with engine running and same thing. Reset three 30 amp breakers in distribution panel, no help. Running fridge on propane.
Manual says there is a 50 amp breaker behind drivers seat, but I can't find anything there. I have 110 volt AC to the breaker panel and AC plugs work. Have 11.7 volts DC at the breaker box which is the same as the coach battery reading. It appears that the converter in not working , but I don't know where it is located. I expect that it is under the kitchen sink, but I can't access it as the dining room slide is in and it blocks the sink cabinet access.
If the 50 amp was tripped then you wouldn't have power to the plugs.
If you charge your batteries with a battery charger then you might get them charged up enough to move the slide and check the cabinet.
Could be that the breaker for the slide is tripped also.
If you get the batteries charged and the slide still doesn't move then we can hunt for the slide breaker.

BT5210
08-13-2019, 12:16 PM
sorry, I tried.... if you were in vegas… I'd come help get it going...

purduepete12
08-16-2019, 11:46 AM
Yes this is what my unit looks like. Sorry for the delay in response but I didn't have my computer with me at the campground we finally got to a day late as they didn't have internet availability. We had reservations at Prophetstown ISP starting Monday and finally made it there by 4 PM on Tuesday.
I released the brake on the bedroom slide out motor and pushed the slide in so that I could drive it to "Here and Now RV" exit 51 on I-70 West of Indianapolis. The owner Steve, took me in right away and personally trouble shot my coach. We found the under the kitchen sink after removing the J trap and ripping out the stapled in back wall panel. The converter was just laying there on top of the jumble of wires that go to the breaker panel. Sure enough, it had a blown 25 amp auto fuse! Replaced it and I was back I business in an hour. I got a response back from GS but, he didn't know where the power converter was either. The manual refers to the power converter and shows a diagram of the breaker box. I sent a response to GS and suggested that they have there engineering people relocate the converter to somewhere it is accessable with the slides in so that the fuses can be replaced.
Thanks to everyone for your replies and my apologies for taking so long to respond, but we just got back home this AM.

Graygal
08-18-2019, 04:06 PM
We have the same model as yourself. We had a generator problem and had to find the ATS, Automatic Transfer Switch.. not sure if that is the same thing as a converter.
Ours is under the bathroom sink ... in a black box in a dark spot.

Graygal
08-18-2019, 04:08 PM
Continued.
We could not get our slides in due to empty coach batteries. Running the engine did not help. We had to connect up our Honda 2000 back up generator.

CAP
08-18-2019, 04:24 PM
I have the 2006 5291 and it might be in the same place as mine. Your not going to believe this one.......

It's under the kitchen sink. Take the right side panel out first, then remove the back panel. BINGO :)

Carolyn

purduepete12
08-18-2019, 07:04 PM
No, that is not the same thing as the power converter. I have that same relay under my bathroom sink also. The power converter is located under the left bowl of the kitchen sink.
You have to remove the "J-trap" and then rip out the back wall panel in this cupboard. It is plugged into the back of the breaker panel with an AC cord and plug. It's just laying on top of the jumble of wires that go to the back of the breaker panel. It has an Aluminum housing about 14"X12"X3" Auto fuses in the back. One of these failed in mine and that is why I had no DC power to drive the slide out motors.

Pete

Restorium
08-19-2019, 05:49 AM
No, that is not the same thing as the power converter. I have that same relay under my bathroom sink also. The power converter is located under the left bowl of the kitchen sink.
You have to remove the "J-trap" and then rip out the back wall panel in this cupboard. It is plugged into the back of the breaker panel with an AC cord and plug. It's just laying on top of the jumble of wires that go to the back of the breaker panel. It has an Aluminum housing about 14"X12"X3" Auto fuses in the back. One of these failed in mine and that is why I had no DC power to drive the slide out motors.

Pete
That could be a replacement convertor. The way you describe it as laying on top of some wiring sounds like a retrofit. I have replaced mine twice. Make sure there's nothing blocking the cooling fan or it will die prematurely.
You can move it to the battery compartment. I have mine so outside air can be pulled in by the cooling fan.

purduepete12
08-19-2019, 10:40 AM
No, it's the original as I am the original owner. I should have at least been mounted either on a shelf or on the wall. I am concerned about the fan as it was not running, but I was'nt sure if it was on a thermostat and only ran when the converter got hot.

Restorium
08-19-2019, 12:46 PM
No, it's the original as I am the original owner. I should have at least been mounted either on a shelf or on the wall. I am concerned about the fan as it was not running, but I was'nt sure if it was on a thermostat and only ran when the converter got hot.

It only runs when it's warm and trips the heat sensor.

purduepete12
08-19-2019, 01:00 PM
Thanks! That's good to know. It appears to be working ok.
My next problem is that while out camping last time the dining room slide motor gearbox exploded while running out the slide. It's a Power Gear PN 524664. Anyone out there know of a salvage outlet that might have one of these motors. I've bought one before at Ickies RV Salvage in Montpelier, IN, but they don't have anymore. They are quite pricey straight from the factory.

ChrisW
11-17-2019, 07:31 PM
On my 2006 5291 the transfer switch is under the bathroom sink and the converter is behind the fuse panel near the floor below the thermostat. 4 screws and the fuse panel comes out and gives access to the converter. My batteries were not charging and I found the three fuses on the converter blown.

sammywolfordwv
08-02-2020, 03:54 PM
Graygal,
We have the same model as yourself. We had a generator problem and had to find the ATS, Automatic Transfer Switch.. not sure if that is the same thing as a converter. Appreciate any help!
Ours is under the bathroom sink ... in a black box in a dark spot.[/QUOTE]

purduepete12
08-02-2020, 04:42 PM
Yes, the ATS is under the bathroom sink. The converter box is behind the breaker/fuse box on the side panel of the kitchen sink near the floor.
I had to take out the back panel under the kitchen sink (after removing the "J" trap) to get to mine. It had one fuse blown so my slide motors were not getting any DC power.

B.Woodruff
09-27-2020, 03:16 PM
Mine was behind the fuse panel as you come in the door. I took a drawer above it out to excess it. Mine was unplugged. It’s really a stupid place to put it. Hope this helps.

hossross
10-18-2020, 11:38 PM
can you measure the voltage at the Batteries when the switch for the slides is depressed. 12.6 should be enough, but if it drops to lke 10 volts when switch is depressed, then yes I would say batts are failing. Do you have a regular 6 or 12 V battery charger? if so change the batts directly, although the converter is its self just a battery charger. what is the batt voltage with engine off and no shore power, then with engine running, and then with engine off but shore power connected to 110. the engine should also charge the batteries, so if it doesn't the problem isn't the converter.

hossross
10-18-2020, 11:50 PM
You still have other problems, cause the engine running should have charged the coach batt what you found was the converter was not charging, maybe the 25 amp fuse is in both source paths, don't know the circuit details but I would still measure the voltage the 3 ways I listed in my other post. take you less than 7 minutes to confirm