PDA

View Full Version : Coach Batteries

don1957ford
12-07-2019, 06:55 PM
When we are travelling, our 2 Coach batteries don,t get charged from the front unit.2008.Model 5291..Is there a fuse or breaker that won,t allow the coach batteries to stay charged up.? When we fire up the generator , they get charged and when we are plugged into shore power, they get charged but not while driving.

Frutza
12-07-2019, 08:14 PM
Did they used to charge? Some units charge & some don't. Don't know if Gulfstream can answer that or not. I added a B.I.R.D its a controller.that when either set of batteries are fully charged it then starts charging both sets

don1957ford
12-07-2019, 10:06 PM
I was sure they used to charge, but can,t be sure..Anyway, I am going to install a battery Isolator and run a wire from the front truck battery to the coach batteries ..I think if I can,t fix the problem, this should....will see what other help comes my way...anyway, thanks..

THenne1713
12-15-2019, 10:30 AM
(Most) is a simple solenoid that is energized by power from IGN switch; some under hood, have fuse mounted on the solenoid?

DogMom
12-15-2019, 11:29 AM
We have a 2005 BT Cruiser 5270 and the coach batteries charge while driving. I would like to know what keeps yours from charging. Is it the inverter that does that?

jamesham
12-15-2019, 11:39 AM
On our older Gulf Stream motorhome, there is a large metal round solenoid mounted on the left front driver side wheel well. Out of sight and out of mind since the battery and alternator are on the passenger side. The solenoid closes on input from the ignition switch. The design is to charge the house batteries from the alternator when running down the road. The engine battery is then disconnected from the house battery when stopped so you do not run down the battery needed to start the engine. A simple fix. Instead of a solenoid, you can also buy an isolator with three terminals to have a solid state way of doing the same thing. The isolator is nothing more than a giant diode that makes one-way electric transfer.
jh

[QUOTE=don1957ford;29867]When we are travelling, our 2 Coach batteries