PDA

View Full Version : Roof leak

Truck55
12-17-2019, 10:23 AM
I have an 04 sun voyager. It has developed a leak over the cabinet that is above passenger seat. I have sealed all the roof seams but still leaking. I can’t find where the water is coming in from. It leaks out of the cabinet and will leak a couple of inches in a bucket in a hard rain.

I ran a water hose on it for about 20 min and it didn’t leak

Anyone ever had this problem?

Sudsy
12-18-2019, 10:27 AM
I have an 04 sun voyager. It has developed a leak over the cabinet that is above passenger seat. I have sealed all the roof seams but still leaking. I can’t find where the water is coming in from. It leaks out of the cabinet and will leak a couple of inches in a bucket in a hard rain.

Check the five clearance lights and also the radio antenna. I actually replaced all of my clearance lights and antenna. I had indications of a leak on the drivers side same cabinet. The PO said it was from the clearance lights. I almost forgot. Look at where the front cap slides over the main body. I had places where you could stick my finger in there. I used a producbathroom skylight. t called Eternabond tape and sealed both end caps and went around all the vents and I still have a tiny leak around the "Fantastic Fan" in the kitchen/living room area. I have also used that new Flex Spray. It is a good way to find the area of the leak but I don't trust it to be a permanent fix. The Eternabond tape is much less expensive than the Flex Tape.

Sudsy

Dennis1554
12-24-2019, 10:59 AM
One thing I learned with a previous mh is that water can travel above the ceiling for some distance before it finds a place to get out. So, the source of your leak may not be directly above the point you see the drip. I chased a leak and finally found the source under an air conditioner a few feet from the drip. It can be very frustrating! Any seam or penetration can be the culprit.

RayChez1
12-29-2019, 11:23 AM
I had a problem like that and it was the front air conditioner that needed to be retighten. There are four bolts that need to be tightened every so often. Water can be a pain to find the leak, because I have read that the leak where it shows up does not mean it is coming in there. Could also be where the awning attaches to the side wall, clearance lights and antenna's. I will say that who ever designed the roof configuration on Gulf Stream coaches should be fired. Terrible way the design on where the top of roof meets the side . ON mine there is actually like a little valley where water accumulates. Very poor design by Gulf Stream. That is why I Eternabonded the whole roof and that has really worked good.

Boho48
12-29-2019, 12:16 PM
I had the same problem. I replaced the gasket on the AC unit . No more leaking. My wife was able to clean the stained ceiling with Oxyclean

EAGLE-1
12-29-2019, 03:09 PM
I vote for the seal under your AC unit

jmorris
02-21-2020, 05:15 PM

Water leak could not find. Cut hole in plywood mounted a AC squirrel cage blower in window. Pressurized RV used dish soap. There you have it Bubbles……..

Sunvoyagerdad
03-22-2020, 05:00 PM
In the picture with the bubbles, what am I looking at? I have an '03 Sun Voyager and have the exact same problem in the exact same area.

jmorris
03-23-2020, 09:08 PM
Water leak could not find. Cut hole in plywood mounted a AC squirrel cage blower in window. Pressurized RV used dish soap. There you have it Bubbles……..

The leak was in the seam. You can find a leak any were in the roof any make of RV or Camper

Sunvoyagerdad
04-18-2020, 10:55 AM
I have the exact same issue in my '03 Sunvoyager. I am planning on sealing the entire roof this spring. Does anyone know the type of material used by Gulfstream on the roof? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

RayChez1
04-18-2020, 11:05 AM
I have the exact same issue in my '03 Sunvoyager. I am planning on sealing the entire roof this spring. Does anyone know the type of material used by Gulfstream on the roof? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Self spreading Dicor. You can find it at Lowe's and Home Depot. Also most RV stores have it. But I believe for the top seams, the better sealer is Eternabond four inch tape. You can buy that in fifty foot rolls from Amazon. That is what I used on the top seams, just make sure it is clean when you apply it, wash the grim off with lacquer thinner, then apply on a hot day is best. Now for the corners you need the Dicor.

Sunvoyagerdad
04-19-2020, 06:52 AM
Ray, thanks for the reply. I was asking if anyone knew what type material the original roofing is made from. I want to make sure the product I am considering is compatible. I am considering RV Roof Magic as a product to seal my entire roof.

Sudsy
04-19-2020, 11:05 AM
Te roof is fiberglass. DO NOT USE products made for rubber membrane roofs.

Sudsy

Sunvoyagerdad
04-19-2020, 03:19 PM
I thought so. Thanks for the reply.