PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Sun Voyager battery issues

01-02-2020, 11:46 AM
My 2007 Sun Voyager seems unable to maintain house battery charge. All 110 volt appliances work fine. 12 volt system unable to start heater or keep refrigerator running even when plugged in to shore power. Maybe I have inverter turned on unintentionally. In cabinet to lower left from kitchen sink are three switches. Two are side by side, one for floor lights, the other is for two overhead lights. There is a separate switch with a red light that I thought was to engage electric water heater. But maybe it is actually to engage inverter? I cannot find any other switch for inverter. When I woke up this morning my heater wouldn’t start and refrigerator was off, even though I was plugged in to shore power.
Started engine and then all started working. While running, panel shows full power, as soon as I turn off ignition, display shows extremely low or no battery.

Does anyone have any advice? Thank You.

Sudsy
01-03-2020, 09:56 AM
You have bad (dead) house batteries. Get some new ones. The switch with the red light IS for the electric hot water heater. Hopefully you haven't kill;ed the converter/charger.

Sudsy

01-03-2020, 10:59 AM
Thanks Sudsy, I was able to get the batteries up to 1/3 power by running engine for 45 minutes. Batteries are less than one year old. They just don’t seem to charge while on shore power. I will have them tested. Strange that the two way refrigerator would shut off instead of auto using gas or electric when battery got extremely low. I understand the pilot for the heater needs 12v to ignite, but why would low/no battery affect the fridge?

Sudsy
01-03-2020, 11:18 AM
If you have a voltmeter here is a quick test.

Check the voltage directly on the battery post without the engine running or plugged in. Then start the engine ( I suspect the voltage will increase substantially like 13.7). Stop the engine and plug the camper in to 50 amp power. The voltage on the battery should do the same thing. Maybe not quite as high but a definite increase. If not just for fun switch your meter to AC voltage and see if you measure any AC on the battery. This would indicate a bad diode in the charging network. If the onboard charger/converter isn't working look for a fuse or breaker for it.

Sudsy

01-03-2020, 05:02 PM
I missed the tripped breaker twice. Such a small flag, such old eyes. It was dark the first time and the sun was in my eyes the second time, but I am happy now. thank you for replying. Happy New Decade!