PDA

View Full Version : Visa 19ERD - no anode, don't know that to get

Steven
03-25-2020, 05:21 PM
Have a 2013 Visa 19ERD (just bought used). Has plug instead of anode. Need to get one, but not sure exactly which one to get. Seems it matters what model water heater I have but cannot determine this from looking at it. I *think* it is a suburban. I also think I need one with magnesium instead of aluminum.

Can anyone assist in identifying the water heater manufacturer and which anode I should get? Thanks.

Steve

UAHaerospace
03-26-2020, 06:09 PM
if your water heater only has a 'drain' plug, then it doesn't require an anode rod - not all do...Atwood is one that does not, since they use a ceramic or stainless water tank, which cannot rust. Sounds like you don't need one. : ) Mine doesn't.

Leisure Time Larry
03-26-2020, 06:19 PM
Hi Steve, it is important that you try your best to find out what water heater you have, because that will ultimately tell you what you need. Suburban water heaters use a steel tank, and therefore DO need and anode rod. If that is what you have, I recommend the Suburban branded anode rod to purchase and use. An Atwood brand water heater uses an aluminum tank, and therefore does not need an anode rod, so they just use a plug.

Look at your heater, then search the web. The Atwood and Suburban look different, but are the same size, if you have a typical 6 gallon like most RVs have. You could always take a photo of yours and post it too, as we could probably tell you what you have. Good luck, LTL

Sundancer268
04-05-2020, 09:34 AM
If it is an ATWOOD, do not replace the plastic plug with a metal one unless you can find an Aluminum plug. Atwood uses plastic to prevent Galvanic Corrosion at the plug thread tank thread interface and the plugs do have to be replaced every so many years as like most plastics they do break and harden with age. How soon the Galvanic Corrosion will happen will depend on the quality of the water you are running through the heater. Look in your manuals and brochures that came with your unit and it should say what brand came with your unit.

Sundancer268
04-05-2020, 09:37 AM
if your water heater only has a 'drain' plug, then it doesn't require an anode rod - not all do...Atwood is one that does not, since they use a ceramic or stainless water tank, which cannot rust. Sounds like you don't need one. : ) Mine doesn't.

Atwood tanks are Aluminum not Ceramic or Stainless Steel.

Sundancer268
04-05-2020, 09:39 AM
Have a 2013 Visa 19ERD (just bought used). Has plug instead of anode. Need to get one, but not sure exactly which one to get. Seems it matters what model water heater I have but cannot determine this from looking at it. I *think* it is a suburban. I also think I need one with magnesium instead of aluminum.

Can anyone assist in identifying the water heater manufacturer and which anode I should get? Thanks.

Steve
Try placing a Magnet on the tank and see if it sticks, if it does, you have a Suburban, I would go and try in the relief valve area as that will probably be most accessible.

DolceFarNiente
04-05-2020, 10:02 AM

Steve

Why do you assume it needs an anode? Only WH with steel tanks use them, and I've never had an RV WH that required one.

I think it would safe to assume if it doesn't already have an anode, one is not required.

You might try looking at images of WH online and see if you can identify yours; they haven't changed much through the years and the tank part (unlike the controls) changes the least of all.

RayChez1
04-05-2020, 11:11 AM
Why do you assume it needs an anode? Only WH with steel tanks use them, and I've never had an RV WH that required one.

I think it would safe to assume if it doesn't already have an anode, one is not required.

You might try looking at images of WH online and see if you can identify yours; they haven't changed much through the years and the tank part (unlike the controls) changes the least of all.

I have a ten gallon Suburban on my coach and it uses a magnesium, but you can also use a aluminum which is just a cheaper rod. Both do the same thing except one is better then the other.

Robert+Lori
04-05-2020, 06:33 PM
I also have a 2013 19 ERD and it has a suburban water heater in it, my problem is I can't get the plug off it's seized on there pretty bad I don't want to break it I'm in a pickle

RayChez1
04-06-2020, 12:35 AM
I also have a 2013 19 ERD and it has a suburban water heater in it, my problem is I can't get the plug off it's seized on there pretty bad I don't want to break it I'm in a pickle

Make sure you use a socket, do not use an open wrench. And make sure that the water heater has been turned off for several days. Don't go burn yourself with hot water. There will even be pressure in the tank. But if the heater has been off for several days, the water will be cold. There is a lot of crud that accumulates in those water heaters.