PDA

View Full Version : Removing/Modifying Driver Seat

djqualls
04-13-2007, 01:02 AM
Hello All,

I want to pull the driver seat to do some wiring cleanup and re-route some cabling under the dash. But It is too tight to work around. I looked under the coach and saw the four bolts protruding through the floor and are attached by nuts that are attached to the frame so it should be straight forward. Just pull the 4 bolts and disconnect the power seat cables.

I would also like to build a spacer plate to raise the seat height a couple of inches because the seat sits too low and on long drives, I begin to feel like my knees are under my chin. I am only 6'3 but this seat while very soft is too low for my knees and hips to take a long drive without being sore for a day.

Has anyone done any of these tasks?

Any advice is greatly appreceiated.

Thanks

Dave.........

rob
09-22-2008, 04:09 PM
the problem i am having, the seat doesn't go back far enough, it bumps up against the gally slide and the back of the seat slopes forward. just bought this and i missed it on the test drive. i am 6'4". if i could fiquire a way to get it back or redo the back of the seat that would sure help. i can't emagine a fix for this.
thanks Rob

quikduk
09-24-2008, 06:24 PM
This is one of the bummers about the galley/living room slides. Some coaches have them start a little further back but most squeeze tall drivers.

Re: comfort, you could replace the seat with a better quality unit or have a good upholsterer add some thin High Density foam to the existing or replace it with either a medium or high density foam on the seat and back and then re-attach the cover. This would only run about $150-$200 while a new seat is at least $800...plus you need to get it to match the co-pilots seat...

Re: the distance to the dash versus the slide in the back feeling, what I have found (6' tall...and shrinking) is that I pull the seat forward a bit and lean the back further to the rear. I then fully telescope OUT my steering column and tilt the wheel back further. It resembles a car more than you would think re: the ergonomics and is comfortable enough for 300-400 mile stretches...but you should be taking breaks about every 200 miles or so for your safety...and for more coffee. :lol:

rob
09-24-2008, 09:10 PM
thanks for taking the time to respond, i just might look into redoing this, i well try and find a uph. shop that might have some sugestions. i will try telescoping the steering wheel and move it up.
thanks again
rob

quikduk
09-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Anytime Rob! :D

I am told (by my family) that I am...er...full of...uh...ideas and suggestions, yeah thats it... :roll:

RayChez1
09-26-2008, 12:28 AM
I don't think you can do any thing with the seat going back any further because of the slide, but as far as to getting the seat higher? I don't have that problem since our seats adjust hydralic as high as you want, or lower as much as you want. But I can see where a tall person would be very tight with the galley slide. I am only five eleven and even at that highth I wish I could slide the seat further back, not much more, but just a little.