PDA

View Full Version : service contracts

midranger
09-08-2020, 08:47 PM
I am about to become a new BT Cruiser owner and when I was asked about the extended warranty I was shocked at the cost!! This is my second rig and while it has been a while in between I don't remember them being as fragile as the guy trying to sell me on the additional coverage claimed. Do others have enough issues with their rigs to justify thousands to be sunk into these service deals, or am I just being naive?

TonyQ
09-13-2020, 07:29 AM
Following.

reality124
09-20-2020, 09:53 AM
Unless your RV is under warranty, just do the repairs yourself or bring it into an RV shop. The cost will be cheaper in the long run compared to warranty contracts.
Even if you have a warranty, sometimes your just better off doing it yourself to get it done correctly and quicker.

LabCab
09-20-2020, 11:34 AM
Warranty We had a warranty on our rig which is absolutely useless. Everything we had to have fixed was apparently “not covered”

I would never purchase a warranty again. It’s a heck of a lot easier to take the money out of your pocket and get it done and done right but it is to have to play games with people. Just my opinion though.

jamesham
09-20-2020, 11:50 AM
We are firmly in the camp that extended warranties are no good for the consumer, but great profit for the dealer. Only purchased one on a vehicle and everything that went wrong was something not covered. With all of the house and chassis items in a motorhome, I am sure they would respond that the repair was not covered except on the fifth Friday of the month or some such nonsense. We cover our own repairs by having a small amount moved internally by our credit union every month from checking into a separate account called vehicle repairs. It takes a while to build up a balance, but when it comes time for a set of new tires, we have the money avaialable.

[QUOTE=midranger;31846]I am about to become a new BT Cruiser owner and when I was asked about the extended warranty I was shocked at the cost!! This

Photobug17
09-20-2020, 12:22 PM
I guess I have to take the other side, I am glad I have the warranty. We bought a 2007 Sun Voyager four years ago and without the warranty we would be out of pocket in excess of &10,000 dollars. I am all about fixing issues myself, but Diesel engine issues are beyond my expertise. Turbo replace ment, warped manifold, fuel pump amongst other issues has made having extended warranty well with the cost. Now my situation is probably not the norm so probably shouldn’t go by my luck.