PDA

View Full Version : Light on dash

MMalone2
10-25-2020, 05:13 PM
Does anyone know what this warning/error light on dash means. Picture as light can be seen in tbe attachment. On a 1998 GS Sun Voyager diesel. I believe it's the glow plug symbol but it stays on all the time even after driving for an hour.

Chuck v
10-26-2020, 10:04 AM
From the icon I would say it is an engine pre-heat symbol... It should time out in about 20 seconds or so each time you turn on the ignition key. Attached is an image of the generic dash layout of the Freightliner RV diesel chassis instrumentation...click on the thumbnail image to get a readable size.

The gauges in my 2007 Tour Master were a bit different and had a lighted message that said 'wait to start' or something similar instead of this icon indicator.

Chuck

MMalone2
10-26-2020, 10:17 AM
From the icon I would say it is an engine pre-heat symbol... It should time out in about 20 seconds or so each time you turn on the ignition key. Attached is an image of the generic dash layout of the Freightliner RV diesel chassis instrumentation...click on the thumbnail image to get a readable size.

The gauges in my 2007 Tour Master were a bit different and had a lighted message that said 'wait to start' or something similar instead of this icon indicator.

Chuck
I agree that it's the glow plug symbol but for some reason it's not going off after starting and warm up. So I guess my real question is what would keep a glow plug symbol to stay on?

Chuck v
10-26-2020, 10:35 AM
There is a glow plug control module somewhere on your rig that may be failing...I have never seen this on my coach, but did have an issue with such a module on a small diesel John Deere tractor.

These modules all drive the indicator lamp separately from the high current supply to the glow plugs themselves, so perhaps your plugs are cycling correctly and the indicator is the only thing that is failing. Here is some generic information on how these modules work, etc.
https://www.championautoparts.eu/news/glow-plug-control-module.html

What engine is in your coach? Start with that vendor for any questions you have on the module, then the chassis manufacturer. Gulf Stream builds the 'house' part of the coach and is the least likely to have an answer for you on this issue..

Chuck