PDA

View Full Version : Dual alternator setup on endura

jmckinstrie
02-01-2021, 08:01 PM
Hello. Anybody running a dual alternator setup on their rig? Kinda thinking of getting rid of the generator and installing more batteries and and 6000watt inverter in its place. Found a dual alternator setup that can produce 440 amps at idle and 800 at normal operation speed. Now 800 amp is a ridiculous number but go big or Go home I guess! My theory is to be able run the air conditioners while driving or be able to run the engine during summer nights. (Generator is way to loud interiorly then it is exteriorly). Be also nice to be able to get away running the engine at night during “quiet hours” so long as no one is around us and not annoy any one. The gen is totally louder then the rv engine oddly enough.

pwerwagn
02-02-2021, 10:12 PM
8.1 or Dmax?

I considered something similar on my 8.1 ultra a few years back. Never really got around to it other than putting a parts list together. It was gonna be $$$. I ended up just buying a 3kw inverter gen, and leaving it in a compartment with air in, exh out and a cooling fan. The fan was louder than the gen from the outside.

Swiss Man
02-07-2021, 09:34 AM
Wow, 800 is quite a number. If you run the RV engine during the night, it definitely heat up your bedroom. I have a upgrade on the alternator with a Leece Neville. But only 250. I recommend to check your generator. Should not be that noisy.

02-07-2021, 11:28 AM
Have you considered that diesel engines don't like idling for long periods?

hossross
02-07-2021, 12:03 PM
What is your information source for idling? I've never heard this and certainly 18 wheeler diesels idle all night long often certainly extended hours. They have the problem that at idle, they don't generate enough heat to keep the inside warm if the ambient is low. Can you reference a page in the operations manual?

hossross
02-07-2021, 12:09 PM
6000 watt is 500 AMPS DC input. So your alternator ratings is OK as even 480 would supply approx 5300 watts or 44 AMPS AC for your Air conditioners. But make sure you size the cables from the alt to the batts and batts to inverter per the wire tables for gauge and length. Those are very serious current amounts, What is the inverter size on the newer coaches that run dual Air Conditioners. If they do it then there is another reference for sizing. Check the fan noise on the inverter, it will need high CFM also with ducting I would think

jmckinstrie
02-07-2021, 02:20 PM
Hi all, sorry for late reply, i'm mr mom during the week and well enough said, fun stuff !! This might be a little over kill but was thinking of running 5- 12 volt in series and run a 60 volt invertor, isolating each battery with a blocking diode so i can charge them individually or at the same time with a second dedicated alternator. I fugure this will set me up nice for future solar charging as well.

jmckinstrie
02-07-2021, 02:22 PM
The gen runs great. Problem is im a light sleeper and the bed is right over the gen. So the vibrating is more unwanted then anything. I'm also considering using the gen, if i remove it, for a stand by gen at my home or cabin.

02-07-2021, 02:23 PM
It's in my Cummins owner manual

jmckinstrie
02-07-2021, 07:56 PM
My rig has twin a/c and draw about 30 amp while running. Founds lots of 48-66 volt/4000watt ranged invertors for decent prices. At 60 volts the amps are way low around 66 ish which is 12ish per battery which sounds good to me. With 500 ah can probaly get 2-4 hours runn time on a/c?? Depending on how hot it is? Might be crazy, but i could grab a small 2000 honda gen and use that to charge each of the 5 batteries individually with dedicated chargers. The intial cost of getting five decent 10 amp chargers is about 400$ bucks but all well, it is what it is. My main goal was to have some type of ability to have a/c at night while camping at state camp grounds that do not have electric. Thaanks !!

hossross
02-08-2021, 06:28 PM
thanks for source of idling conditions info. Now I wonder if its engine specific or even application specific, as over the road trucks clearly can be idled all night. At a minimum, good point that each should read their units owners manual.

hossross
02-08-2021, 07:02 PM
Increasing input inverter voltage certainly would reduce the amps, so worth exploring. Even 100 amps is serious business, but much less than 500.
Someone who has experience with 12 volt and various current flows up to 150 amps. I would think you would also need to think through some failure modes and protect against them, ie limit current flow to any single battery to 30 amps, even at low voltage. You would only be able to run the 60 volt inverter off the series wired batteries, and never directly off the alternators. So each batt would be providing 20 amps at rated load, where at 12 volts, the alternators could supply the inverter directly and greatly reduce conversion losses. How long can lithium batteries last with a 20 amp discharge rate, before effecting the life? Just some thoughts.