PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Cap

BPeschka
05-26-2021, 04:56 PM
This is not a Class C or even an RV specific question but I figure someone here has experienced my problem. 2004 BT Cruiser 5210. Ford E350 Super Duty V10.

I lost my gas cap somewhere. Bought a new one at Autozone that they say is correct for me. I get the dash light and a warning to check fuel cap. Ordered another from Amazon, a Motorcraft, that says fits my unit. Put it on and ran the engine for a while, still have warning lights.

My question is, should I expect the warning light to go off as soon as I install the correct cap (or within a few minutes) or does it take longer to adjust/react.

On a much older Volvo sedan I had, it would start bucking, as if running out of gas, when the cap wasn't tight. Reacted immediately when I tightened the cap.

Thanks

Yukon Jack
05-26-2021, 10:53 PM
I believe that it takes a while. Check Google for some answers.

NavyLCDR
05-29-2021, 09:42 PM
You can also ask just about any auto parts store to plug in an OBDI scanner and clear the light. Most do it for free. Or buy your own OBDI scanner so you can read codes if you get a check light and also clear lights.

BPeschka
05-29-2021, 10:04 PM
I can clear the light(s) but if I don't have the right cap, the error code will recur.

I have gone to the Ford dealer and ordered what is supposed to be the correct part. Then I can clear the error code.

NavyLCDR
05-29-2021, 10:29 PM
Well, what I was getting at is that I have had the same thing happen on my car. The gas cap not tightened all the way, left loose at the gas station (I live in Oregon - no self serve gas pumping here). After the light came on and the gas cap was tightened all the way, it took it like 1 full tank of gas for the light to clear on it's own. Resetting it with the OBDI scanner would just turn off the light much sooner than it would go out on it's own.

You may very well have a correctly fitting gas cap - it just takes forever for the light to go out on it's own.

THenne1713
06-06-2021, 07:00 PM
This is not a Class C or even an RV specific question but I figure someone here has experienced my problem. 2004 BT Cruiser 5210. Ford E350 Super Duty V10.

I lost my gas cap somewhere. Bought a new one at Autozone that they say is correct for me. I get the dash light and a warning to check fuel cap. Ordered another from Amazon, a Motorcraft, that says fits my unit. Put it on and ran the engine for a while, still have warning lights.

My question is, should I expect the warning light to go off as soon as I install the correct cap (or within a few minutes) or does it take longer to adjust/react.

On a much older Volvo sedan I had, it would start bucking, as if running out of gas, when the cap wasn't tight. Reacted immediately when I tightened the cap.

Thanks

If the cap is good, maybe vacuum line knocked loose or bad? Had 3-4 under my doghouse I had to replace at 20yo (re: EXH heat? Others seemed fine

BPeschka
07-25-2021, 05:26 PM
Finally resolved my fuel cap problem.

Initially, I stopped by Autozone and got a cap specified for my E-350. Still got an error light.

Then, ordered a cap from Amazon, specified for my E-350. Still got an error light.

Was trying to avoid driving to the dealership, 20 miles away, to get a cap. Also assumed dealer price would be higher.

Finally, went to dealer and ordered cap. installed cap and drove less than 100 feet before light went out. And price was about same as other sources.

Could have saved my self a bit of effort and frustration. Live and learn.