PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Stream'in, First RV

AJFishin
10-14-2021, 07:32 PM
Hi everyone!
My wife and I just picked up a 2003 Gulf Stream 5230B and so far we really like it.
This is our first time owning an RV, my wife never has stepped foot into one till we started looking for one, so we are looking forward to our camping adventures with our 3 year old daughter.
Being outdoors for me is not new, currently I have a Arima boat that has been my pride and joy for ocean fishing for the past 6 years.
When I was young I grew up camping with my grandparents in their travel trailer and my dad had a fifth wheel, so it's in my blood, lol.
I'm looking forward to posting up on here with questions and I'm excited to learn and then hopefully be able to contribute to the forum.
Cheers!
https://i.imgur.com/osQyYf0m.jpg

10-14-2021, 11:26 PM
Congratulations , may you have safe travels and lots of good times. We are first timers and new to rving and camping. We gave done local trips and one long trip to Yellowdtone. We are having a blast, hope you do to.

Burt_2004
10-24-2021, 11:33 AM
We (husband & I + 2 dogs) bought our 2004 5230 in summer 2020 and hope you enjoy it as much as we have ours this past year. As I write this we are headed back from a trip to FL in ours. Love the clean look of yours without all the designs.
Random tips: highly recommend a foam mattress topper for the Jack knife sofa (Queen short fits and they sell sheets that size also)
You can jump the engine battery with the house battery - this saved us from getting stuck one night until we could swap out the alternator.

AJFishin
10-24-2021, 11:57 AM
We (husband & I + 2 dogs) bought our 2004 5230 in summer 2020 and hope you enjoy it as much as we have ours this past year. As I write this we are headed back from a trip to FL in ours. Love the clean look of yours without all the designs.
Random tips: highly recommend a foam mattress topper for the Jack knife sofa (Queen short fits and they sell sheets that size also)
You can jump the engine battery with the house battery - this saved us from getting stuck one night until we could swap out the alternator.

Thank you and the clean look was one thing that grabbed our eyes too and the rig itself is pretty nice.
Regarding the foam mattress, where do you store it when not in use and what thickness did you get?
Also thank you for the tip on the batteries.

Burt_2004
10-25-2021, 01:01 PM
Thank you and the clean look was one thing that grabbed our eyes too and the rig itself is pretty nice.
Regarding the foam mattress, where do you store it when not in use and what thickness did you get?
Also thank you for the tip on the batteries.

The topper we got was only 2", but it helps smooth out some of the sections/bumps with the jack knife sofa. We keep it on/in place all the time because we don't use the couch/seatbelts while in transit and covered the whole thing with a stretchy fitted sheet - like a slip cover. Then we just add another sheet over it when its bedtime.

lbowman44
10-25-2021, 02:38 PM
We have a 2006 and also use a topper. We found that we had to add a pool noodle on the open couch in the crease under the topper, to level it out a little bit. We store our topper in the shower.

AJFishin
10-25-2021, 05:06 PM
Thank you for the replies and info, plus the additional way to make the couch a little more comfortable, this definitely helps out.
Added to our list: Foam topper and a pool noodle.