PDA

View Full Version : Dimming of some inside lights

maddog53
10-17-2021, 10:37 AM
Has anyone come up with a solution on dimming indoor lights? I have a 2021 199RK and it has a couple lights under an overbed shelf and while laying down on the bed, the light is just horrendously bright. Don't get me wrong, bright is good, other than right over my pillows. I could spray paint the cover I suppose but I am just wondering what others may have done. Thanks in advance

Mebryant
10-24-2021, 09:43 AM
Some lights can have dimmer switches on them. Otherwise, change out the bulbs, maybe?

Lrmamann
10-24-2021, 02:24 PM
I popped off the covers and used the covers to cut pieces of plastic fluorescent light fixture troffer lens https://www.lowes.com/pd/OPTIX-Common-24-in-x-48-in-Actual-22-187-in-x-46-437-in-7-12-sq-ft-Prism-Ceiling-Light-Panels/4777776?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-bdm-_-ggl-_-LIA_BDM_248_Drywall-And-Ceilings-_-4777776-_-0-_-0-_-0&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiNSLBhCPARIsAKNS4_cpebMjgqwUoczRcYOs X-5sehCD-0XOvXsRMNcMwQStUZCquEjc-wMaAuf4EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds. Cheap & available at any hardware home center. Depending on the location of the lights in our camper, i spraypainted the insetts to dampen the glare.

maddog53
10-25-2021, 12:19 PM
I have softened the glow with a little paint. Utilized this weekend and it is perfect.

Chuck v
10-25-2021, 03:34 PM
If the two lamps in the headboard are controlled by the same switch, you might modify the wiring to place the two lamps in series rather than the parallel they are now. This will cut the voltage on each bulb to at least half, which reduces the light output by at least 4 or more times. Here is adiagram of what I did on my Tour Master dining chandelier that had three lamps to make it soft lighting similar to candlelight for eating, while still having bright lights for any task related use of the table. The switch is shown in the dim setting. This modification was detailed in a thread on this forum some years ago.

The second diagram is for a two lamp situation like you describe.

Chuck

Chuck v
10-25-2021, 03:37 PM
Well -- the first diagram did not load for some reason. I will try to fix it, but the one that does show above is what you want in your case anyway...

Be sure you use a 'break before make' switch (which is the most common style you will find for small toggle switches...)

Chuck

maddog53
10-25-2021, 03:48 PM
No switch. Individual push button on the two lights. They work independently from other lights inside the coach