PDA

View Full Version : Pulling 16 foot with amphicar trailer behind 2010 BTCruiser

Gglittle
02-13-2022, 01:45 PM
Will 2010 BTouring cruiser 31 foot pull 5,000 lbs over Appalachians? Traveling from Illinois to NC in May. 16 foot trailer with amphicar in it.
Thanks

Bike Dr
02-13-2022, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure of your coach, but must advise!!!!! There is a tow capacity rating for your rv!! You must know what that is and don't be like others, stay with in the limits, and don't skimp on safety EVER!! Like brakes, hitches, safety chains and lighting..most rvs will tell you it towing capacity! The go from there based on engine style gas/diesel and horsepower, these things all play a roll in answering your question. Hope this helped!!

Chuck v
02-13-2022, 04:49 PM
The current model of BT Cruiser has a tow rating of the following according to the Gulf Stream website.
7500 lb. Hitch w/7-Way Connector & Brake Controller

I find a rating for your 2010 model of 5000lbs, however. If you don't have it, here is a link to a brochure of the 2010 series of BT units.
https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2010_B_Touring_Cruiser.pdf

Typically, for safety reasons towing more than 80% of rating should be done with extreme caution, if at all.

The Amphicar weighs 2,324 lbs, and a trailer for it should be under 1500 lbs so you may be OK. Use your best conservative judgement and don't endanger others on the highway.

Chuck

Chuck v
02-13-2022, 05:01 PM
The above numbers are for a typical open trailer -- but an enclosed cargo style trailer can be much more, some are 2800 lbs by themselves.

In that case you are at or over the limits, and for any towing of this type, trailer brakes are an absolute necessity.

Just saying...

Gglittle
02-13-2022, 07:01 PM
The above numbers are for a typical open trailer -- but an enclosed cargo style trailer can be much more, some are 2800 lbs by themselves.

In that case you are at or over the limits, and for any towing of this type, trailer brakes are an absolute necessity.

Just saying...
I have electric brakes installed in rig and electric brakes on trailer. I’m at 5,000. Thanks for info.

Zapper58
02-18-2022, 10:04 AM
Hello, Get in touch with Gulfstream , they answer e mails and such. The cutaway chassi they used is modified by Moore ride, at least mine is. It's rated to pull 5000 lbs.