Thread: tire pressures
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2022, 04:50 PM   #8
Just Cruisin

Smile Proper Inflation of Tires

My question/response is for anyone to answer but also hoping 'hossross' will respond. I retired after 30 years of quality assurance for aircraft tires. I realize they are different from ground tires but I've never understood why people go by what the RV says instead of the tire.
We had a huge portion of our workforce in development and quality control to make the tires both consistent and to a certain standard. It seems to me that the best people to know what the tires is designed for is the tire manufacturer.
In the 1990s there was the Firestone incident in which Ford and Firestone agreed the tires should be run underinflated to make the ride comfortable,etc. But over 750 people died (I believe that's the correct number) from blowouts.

In the case of Mike Burns question, I wonder what the tires were made for? It's a 2003 RV so what if the first owner put tires on that aren't designed for a chassis exactly like his. What if they are cheap tires or have dry rot from age? It scares me to think that tires that might already be weakened could then be over or underinflated for comfort's sake. Underinflation, which was the problem with the Ford/Firestone issue puts more pressure on the tire's sidewall. Overinflation doesn't keep as much tire on the road.

I hope this didn't come across as arrogant or argumentative. I have often heard people say to go by the RV rather than the tire. This is just the first time I've asked why and I wanted to present my case. I specifically mentioned 'hossross' because he mentioned he was in automotive development and thought he might shed light from the automotive side of things.

Thanks for answers in advance.
Just Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote