View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
RJ82much

Admin & EHill,

Admin is absolutely correct in his assements. I tried to not get too specific because then I have to present the nearly non-existent circuit schematics.

The conditions that EHill describes, doesn't quite seem possible in entirety. Nor do my "solutions".

* If coach disconnect is off, then engine generator cannot charge the house batteries.

* If chassis disconnect is off, you can't start the engine.

* Easy to check the ATC (auto transfer switch). While plugged into shore, is the clock on your microwave on? Start generator. After 1 minute or so, is there a flicker & clock on microwave is still on? I do this with the TVs as well. One of your A/Cs won't run if a leg of generator is tripped out. Do not switch between shore & generator with A/C's on ... a generator breaker will certainly trip.

After the ATS, the coach doesn't know where the ac power is coming from. The converter (& combo unit - conv, invt) get ac power thru bed base mounted AC load panel circuit breaker. You want to check those circuit breakers.

* There is a mysterious device called the IRD relay & IRD controller that allows some combination of cross-charging of battery systems (so long as disconnects are closed). I think that so long as the house battery is below a certain voltage & maybe engine is running, then engine generator will charge house batteries. If house batteries aren't low, then no charging will take place. Of course, you can always press the "battery" button on the dashboard to put the two systems in parallel and put power into the dead or low one. Do so VERRRRY carefully.

* Converter DC out does not go thru the disconnect switch. The battery can be charged by the converter with disconnect off (per the non-existent diagram)

* and now a question: If your coach battery is stone-cold dead, can you operate the disconnect relay? It looks like not. Same should be true of your chassis disconnect & chassis battery. Thank goodness for that battery (crossover) switch on the dashboard. Just make absolutely sure that either the engine is running, or the generator is running before using it!

whew, & we still only scratched the surface!

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote