Thread: 110V Dilemma
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
nemo45

Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Default Re: 110V Dilemma

Update. Well, the 110V dropped out again, so I just took out the power cord reel and wired the shore power cord direct. Now, I'm thinking all will be fine. I plug in the shore power and go in the motorhome and none of the 110V outlets are working. I do have power to the outlet the converter is on, the water heater and the AC work. So, I check out the load panel and all is well. There is another 30amp panel that all, except a few, of the 110V outlets are wired to and there is no power to it. I find an orange piece of womax from the main load panel that says in and another piece of orange womax going to the 30amp panel that says out on it. I figured out that these are going to and from the inverter and that these would be the outlets that are conected to the inverter. So I go to the information panel and none of the lights are lit up on the inverter in cluding the AC in. I go out to the inverter and there is power to the inverter and none coming out unless I put it on invert and and the charger on the inverter is not working as I only have 12 volts coming from the batteries. So, I know that probably the transfer switch in the inverter is bad and maybe the charger in it. I then by pass the inverter using the 110V in and out and a junction box and all is well. Everything has been operating as it should. So, since I had the power spike, I have had to replace the cord reel, the converter, a transfer switch, an A/C compressor and now probably the inverter. I saved the interior parts from the cord reel and found that the contacts going to the neutral leg were burnt and shortened and that is the reason when I would turn the cord reel some, the 110V would come on and then a couple of hours later go off again. I figure the mystery with the contacts of the transfer switch was that it was making a neutral contact when I pushed down on it, because there is a post underneath it with a white wire going to it. I have checked continuity on the normally closed side(neutral relay) of the old transfer switch and it is good. So, I'm going to save it just in case. I am hoping my insurance will cover all of this including the awning that was ruined during the storm. They are trying to say they are not sure there was a power spike, but with all this evidence I don't know how they could deny it. I hope this helps fellow Tour Master owners to Know just how the 110V is split up. My next purchase is a surge protecter.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote