View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #43
bill6357

I just joined this forum yesterday, and I'm already reaping the benefits. I'm currently having an electrical problem, which is being addressed in a seperate thread. I wish I had found this group sooner. I had serious issues over the last year with Gulfstream. My dealer has solved all but this last electrical one, but it took a letter to Brian Shea, one of the two Presidents of GS, to get the ball rolling. I thought I was alone with a "lemon" I had no idea that there were so many of us with issues. Here is the letter I sent:

Dear Mr. Shea March 12, 2008

I find it necessary to write in order to inform you of an unfortunate series of events. I have tried using every possible means of resolving a problem with my motor coach, but find myself considering legal council. That is a situation I would like to avoid.

In July of last year, I went to my local motor home dealership, Commack Trailer, to pick up my 2006 Ultra for my planned cross country summer family vacation. I had no intention of buying a second motor home, but while I waited for my coach to be brought out from the shop where it was being serviced, my wife and children were looking at a 2005 Sunvoyager labeled "demo, priced to sell" Before I knew it I was the proud owner of a second Gulfstream motor home. Serious health issues cancelled our trip and I wasn't able to use my new coach until January of this year.

When I bought the Sunvoyager, I was made aware that it was not new, but had only 1700 miles on it and had never been lived in. My dealer, Bob Merchwart, explained to me that he personally used it for trade shows, but it had been stored outside and I should expect problems related to that. After a quick drive around the area, I felt that the brake system should be looked at, it just didn't feel right. Bob suggested that I drive it a bit more, since there was most likely rust on the rotors, which would cause problems. A quick overnight trip left me with a list of things to have looked at, none too serious except for an indicator light on the antilock brake system and a few electrical problems, with indicator lights going on and systems not working. I left the coach at Huntington Chevrolet, the local authorized Workhorse repair shop. I was told that I needed to replace all the batteries. The batteries were not holding a charge and improper voltage was possibly causing computer problems. It sounded reasonable. The dealership had problems tracing some wiring and a mistake was made involving a solenoid controlling the 12 volt system. I took the coach home to prepare for a trip down the coast to Florida. When I tested the hydraulic jacks, the solenoid wiring started to burn. A panicked call to Bob Mrchwart was followed by a quick fix at his shop. Huntington Chevrolet assures me that they will make restitution for the error. I left the next morning and drove without incident to Florida. As I arrived at my destination, the antilock brake indicator lit up. Needless to say I was upset. I called Gulfstream and was given the phone numbers to several dealers who should be able to help. The diagnosis would mean that my vacation would be trashed while the coach was in a shop. One of the repair centers suggested that I just ignore the indicator until I returned home. After all, it was the antilock system, not the overall brakes. The odds of skidding were remote. I agreed.

That night, a fellow camper knocked on my door. "One of your tail lights is on and has been blinking for a while." I tried, without success to figure out why only one tail light would be on. I decided to remove the bulbs. As I unscrewed the tail lens, the superheated bulb melted through the housing and fell into the body. I discovered that the same thing had happened on the other side. Meanwhile, other lights began to turn on and off sporadically. I disconnected the batteries and pulled fuses. I was unable to find anyone willing to look at the coach where it was. With another vacation cut sort, I drove home to New York. During the drive, My wife and I made a detailed list of symptoms. That list is attached to this letter. I brought the coach back to Huntington Chevrolet. That was the second week of January.

The service manager at Huntington Chevrolet assured me that he would give my coach his personal attention. A few days later, I was informed that both Workhorse and Gulfstream would not consider any of the work warranty covered. A phone call to Workhorse explaining that the vehicle was only recently put into use changed their mind. They agreed to cover the chassis through April of this year: more than enough time to discover the cause of these wiring problems. I made a similar call to Gulfstream. Workhorse called Commack Trailer and verified my explanation as to the origin of my coach. They immediately authorized repair work to the brake system. Gulfstream continued to deny responsibility when contacted by Huntington Chevrolet. My calls to customer service were never followed up on and I have yet to receive a call or letter explaining your decision, if in fact one was made. I wrote a letter to customer service, and still no response. I called two more times. The representatives were pleasant, but could give me no answers.

Hunting Chevrolet claims that the wiring done when the coach was built is at fault. Will you please address this issue so that we can continue a good relationship? I do not want to involve a lawyer, but I will not be mistreated any longer.
bill6357 is offline   Reply With Quote