View Single Post
Old 04-07-2006, 07:22 AM   #5
TSoul

Send a message via Yahoo to TSoul

Last weekend we packed up and just as we got on the highway my wife came over the radio and asked me to pull over. My son was driving her in the "chase" car. He is 16 and has a permit. We have been letting him follow me to campgrounds and back with his car for the driving experience.

Anyway, I pulled over and she said I had left the antenna up. Boy did I feel foolish . Our old motorhome had a flat round antenna that did not have to be put up or down. Of course it got terrible reception. I have heard about using clips and signs to remind the driver to put the antenna down. I guess I am being stuborn and refuse to admit that I could forget it. At least there was no damage. This time.

About the awning. According to sorces on RV.Net an awning can unroll itself with out the arms coming out from the side. Meaning that even locking the arms and tieing them closed that a strong wind can unfurl the fabric itself. One needs to have a pin or other such device to actually lock the barrel in place so it does not spin when the fabric gets wind under it. I hear it is a real problem out in the west because of strong wind across the plains or thru passes.

I had the rear slide out awning unroll on me. Aparently the factor falled to put in the set screws (or they fell out) and a gust of wind pushed one arm off and it unrolled. The little arm that stayed attached bent and was replaced under warrenty. Thank God I was out by the camper when it happened and I was able to take it off right away with help from my son. If the awning would have blown around for any amount of time it would have busted up the sides and the roof. The slide was in at the time.

Happy Camping.