View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
Chuck v

72chevy4x4,

Inverters are not candidates for being operated in tandem unless they are designed to be 'synchronized' so their output waveforms are perfectly overlapped and in-phase and at the precise same frequency. I would not expect many of the consumer RV type inverters or inverter/changers to have this level of sophistication. Transformer isolaton does nothing for solving the issues of different output frequency/wave-shape/phase characteristics between to converters of even the same model and rating, and all of these parameters will be effected slightly by load, temperature, battery condition, etc.

Dexter, your best bet if you must have a larger capacity for your inverter is to replace the current one with a 2000 watt model and power it by a larger battery bank (if room and money allow...)

I once was involved with having a Prevost coach built to our company requirements for the commercial display of advanced telecommunications/video processing equipment. It toured the entire US showcasing our products and systems for IPTV to small telephone companies. It did have two 2000 watt inverters that were synchronized to operated in tandem, plus a very nice, quiet turbo diesel generator that was housed in a foamed lead lined sound deadening enclosure. We could run all our gear and several of the basement air conditioners without the shore power connected...

Even without all our special gear installed (3 full racks of equipment and lots of video/computer equipment...) that coach ran abut 4 times the cost of my Tour Master, and that coach was built a decade earlier than my 2007 TM! It was very nice, but I don't expect to ever have one personally from purely a cost standpoint.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is online now   Reply With Quote