Thread: tire pressures
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2022, 03:44 AM   #6
Leisure Time Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeburns View Post
I'm a bit confused regarding tire pressures on my 2003 model 5210b. The sticker inside of the cabinet appears to say 55 PSI on all 6 tires. But the manual, and chassis manuals don't even mention a pressure. When I searched online, most people said 65 in the fronts, and 80 in the rear. I'm getting ready to take our first trip in this RV and would like to start out with the proper pressure.
Hi Mike, the quick answer is to go by what that coach sticker says. They built it!

The subject is more complicated when looking into all that goes into it like tire construction, tire ratings, handling, weight, balance, load distribution, age, etc.

I have a '05 model 5211B, so very similar to yours. I have done all of the things you are supposed to do to find the "right" tire pressure number. I've weighed it, looked at the load distribution, added a 5% safety factor for each tire, referenced the tire inflation charts, and guess what? It all led me to the same PSI as what my coach sticker says.

I do recommend you look at a couple of things on your tires before your first trip though...

1) What is the max cold tire pressure listed on your tires? Mine came with Load Range D tires with a max of 65 PSI cold. I'm guessing yours did too. If you have D tires, then you cannot put that recommended 80 PSI in those! Load Range E tires are often installed as replacement tires, and those typically have a max of 80 PSI. So, it's important to know what tires you have and how much pressure they can aired up to.

2) What is the date code on your tires? This is usually a 4 digit number inside of an oval somewhere on the sidewall of a tire. This represents the tire's birthday. The first two digits are the week and the final two digits are the year the tire was made. An example may be: 0422 A tire with this code would have been made during the 4th week of 2022 (so end of January 2022). Tires are recommended to be replaced about every 6 years, and the older they are after that, the more dangerous they are considered. That stinks for us RV owners that may not put very many miles on. Our tires usually "age out" quicker than get "worn out". Be aware of your situation and act accordingly.

Best of luck with your new rig. Here's to many miles and smiles!
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is online now   Reply With Quote