Thread: tire pressures
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2022, 06:15 PM   #9
NavyLCDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cruisin View Post
My question/response is for anyone to answer but also hoping 'hossross' will respond. I retired after 30 years of quality assurance for aircraft tires. I realize they are different from ground tires but I've never understood why people go by what the RV says instead of the tire.
For the same reason that aircraft tires are inflated according to the aircraft specifications rather than the tire spec. A tire made for aircraft use can be used on multiple aircraft and each aircraft will have its spec for tire inflation based upon aircraft weight and takeoff/landing speeds. In the case of Naval aviation, the tire inflation pressure is higher for aircraft carrier operations than it is ground operations.

The reason for varying vehicle inflation pressures is to ensure that there is proper tread contact with the road to maintain traction while also maintaining adequate cooling.

My wife's 2017 Grand Caravan calls for a inflation pressure of 36 PSI. My 2015 GMC Yukon calls for 35 PSI. My Toyota Prius calls for 33 Front, 32 Rear. All the tires for all three vehicle have 44 PSI max on their sidewalls. So would you recommend I just run all the tires at 44 PSI because that is what is on the side of the tire? If I ran them all at 44 PSI, I would lose traction (especially on wet pavement) as well as wearing the center of the tread more than the edges causing the tires to wear prematurely.

Very Respectfully,
US Navy Aviation Maintenance Officer, retired
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote