View Single Post
Old 12-24-2022, 08:39 AM   #16
AppliedThinking

As of yesterday, I completed the BigFoot jack replacement. Putting on those ABS covers was a pain in the tail. Due to the extreme tight space, I had to notch the covers to get them on. I also didn't want to use those self drilling screws anywhere near the plastic tanks. I finished off the covers with a single run of cable Velcro around the whole lower box. All cables are tie-wrapped and protected against vibration.

Hindsight, I should of brought up the jacks before topping off the tank. I may have over-filled one as it leaked out when retracted. I will have to pull the cover off to check the level again and make sure the tank fill plug didn't come out. This is called double work...

The last piece is to seal the storage box where I had to cut the corner out to install the larger tank/control box. I took the cut-off metal and mounted inside the box, flipped 180deg, with self drilling screws. That created a metal outside surface. Will use expanding foam to fill the two large top and side gaps and wax paper to protect the new ABS cover (an old surfboard resin trick). The very last thing will be to spray an rubberized undercoating layer or two for the final sealant outside and inside of the storage box.

This concludes the journey for the front two jacks. It's clean up time and get ready for a Christmas BBQ dinner. It's supposed to be in the mid 80's F here on Christmas Day.

Will take the two older jacks to a hydraulic shop at a later time to see if they can be overhauled. At some point, the back two jacks will need to be replaced in even tighter spaces. I could always locate the tank/control box inside one of the storage boxes and run longer hoses.

Best Regards, JohnF
AppliedThinking is offline   Reply With Quote